HGS Family History Groups
*** Although most HGS groups have resumed in-person meetings, some are continuing to run meetings via Zoom, and others are running hybrid meetings [a mixture of in-person and Zoom], so please do check to see the type of meeting.
For hybrid meetings or those that are held via Zoom only, please contact the appropriate Group Organiser no later than 24 hours prior to the talk to be added to the invitation list. Remember to include your membership number or indicate if you are a guest.
If you plan on travelling to an in-person meeting where you are not already on the Group Organiser’s contact list, we suggest that you contact the Group Organiser to let them know: this way, if the meeting is cancelled (e.g. due to speaker unavailability) they will be able to let you know, saving you an unnecessary trip.
We meet regularly to share, learn, exchange ideas and information, as well as to help us each further explore our family history projects. Why not come along and see for yourself?
- You can attend the meetings of any of our 10 active Hampshire-based groups.
- The International Group meetings are held every two months via Zoom: these meetings are on alternate months to the National Group meetings.
- The National Group meetings are held every two months via Zoom: these meeting are on alternate months to the International Group meetings.
- Visit a Group’s page (via the menu on the right) to see their programme of talks, news and articles. Contact a Group Organiser using the form at the bottom of their Group page.
- Come and meet like-minded people. HGS Group Meetings are free to members and prospective members.
- They are a good way to gain some new insights on how to further explore your family history.
- Whether you are a beginner or an expert, with a family from within or outside of Hampshire, you will always be welcome and find someone who has something new and interesting to share.
HGS Group Locations
Click on a pin for the address and directions.
HGS Family History Group and Society Events for the next 3 months
To attend a Zoom talk offered by any of the groups, please contact the appropriate group organiser no later than 24 hours prior to the talk. Please include your membership number or indicate if you are a guest.
- June 5, 2023 - Romsey Group: The Timsbury Triangle – Richard Backhouse
- June 7, 2023 - International Group: [BST] Parish Records - Ian Waller - via Zoom
As the parish authorities were responsible for many aspects of administration besides the keeping of baptism, marriage and burial records the wealth of information contained within the records of the "parish chest" are essential for family history. This talk examines just what is available and how they will enhance the information and social scene relating to your ancestors’ lives.
- June 8, 2023 - Andover Group: Have you a 19th century Army Ancestor? - Maggie Eltham
- June 8, 2023 - Fleet & Farnborough Group: Members' Evening - A Tragedy in the Family
Life is not all sunshine and roses. Do you have a family tragedy that you are willing to share?
- June 13, 2023 - Fair Oak Group: Supermarine at Hursley Park: From Spitfire to Scimitar - Dave Key
- June 14, 2023 - Gosport Group: Members’ Evening
- June 15, 2023 - Winchester Group: India - JJ Heath Caldwell
- June 21, 2023 - Ringwood Group: Members’ Evening - Bring an interesting family item or photo
- June 28, 2023 - Basingstoke Group: From Grub Street to Fleet Street - Bob Clarke
- July 3, 2023 - Romsey Group: Members’ Meeting – [Main Hall, not Annexe]–The pros & cons of online subscription websites and the merits/demerits of using online trees
The pros and cons of online subscription websites (Ancestry, FindMyPast, MyHeritage, The Genealogist, etc) and the merits/demerits of using online trees
- July 5, 2023 - National Group: TBA
- July 11, 2023 - Fair Oak Group: Hampshire Memorials - Tony Cross
- July 12, 2023 - Gosport Group: Mishaps of a church organist 1947-2005 - Ruth Warren
- July 13, 2023 - Andover Group: History of the Weyhill Fairground - Tony Raper
- July 13, 2023 - Fleet & Farnborough Group: Vagrants, Paupers & The Welfare State - Jan Smith
A look at the treatment of the poor from the medieval period to the welfare state. Jan Smith is a retired Hampshire County Archivist with 35 years’ experience.
- July 19, 2023 - Ringwood Group: The Duke of Monmouth - Brian and Jacqueline Sutton TWOgether talks
- July 20, 2023 - Winchester Group: Parents at War - David Bickerton
- July 26, 2023 - Basingstoke Group: Members’ Evening: Hands-on with Leases – how to read, interpret and understand - Led by Jane Hussey
- August 5, 2023 - International Group: [BST] TBA
- August 7, 2023 - Romsey Group: ** No meeting in August **
- August 8, 2023 - Fair Oak Group: Guided Walk of Hedge End - Eric Reed
- August 9, 2023 - Gosport Group: ** No meeting in August **
- August 10, 2023 - Andover Group: ** No meeting in August **
- August 10, 2023 - Fleet & Farnborough Group: TBA
- August 14, 2023 - Alton Group: ** No meeting in August **
- August 16, 2023 - Ringwood Group: Members' Outing and Cream Tea
- August 23, 2023 - Basingstoke Group: Afternoon Outing
- September 4, 2023 - Romsey Group: The Experimental Housekeeping of Jane Austen’s good friend Martha Lloyd – Jane Glennie
- September 6, 2023 - National Group: Mapping Alchemy for Genealogists - Dr Sophie Kay - via Zoom
The talk includes two practical mapping methods for attendees to use in their family history research, plus advice on where to source historical maps and how to navigate some key challenges they present.
- September 12, 2023 - Fair Oak Group: Quarantine & Social Distancing in Tudor Southampton - Cheryl Butler
- September 13, 2023 - Gosport Group: Elizabeth and Her Many Husbands - Richard Webb (HGS Member)
- September 14, 2023 - Andover Group: The Real Downton Abbey - Ian Porter
- September 14, 2023 - Fleet & Farnborough Group: Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind? - Julian Pooley
Julian, Manager of the Surrey History Centre, will describe the history of care for those with mental illness from the 18th century to the 1990s and the records available.
- September 20, 2023 - Ringwood Group: Members’ Evening
- September 21, 2023 - Winchester Group: Special Operations Executive in the New Forest - Nick Saunders