HGS Family History Groups
*** With the unpredictable situation surrounding Covid-19, HGS has taken the decision to cancel all in-person group meetings for the time being.
Many of our groups will run virtual meetings, using Zoom, so please check the individual group pages for details.
If you are interested in attending a talk offered by any of the groups, please feel free to contact the appropriate group organiser to be added to the invitation list.
Please check back regularly for updates.***
We meet regularly to discuss the opportunity to share, learn, exchange ideas and information, as well as to help us each further explore our family history projects. Why not come along and see for yourself?
- You can attend the meetings of any of our 13 Hampshire-based groups. All of these groups meet in the evening with the exception of the Fareham Afternoon Group.
- The International Group meetings are held every two months via Zoom.
- Visit a Group’s page (via the menu on the right) to see their programme of talks, news and articles. Contact a Group Organiser using the form at the bottom of their Group page.
- Come and meet like-minded people. HGS Group Meetings are free to members and prospective members.
- They are a good way to gain some new insights on how to further explore your family history.
- Whether you are a beginner or an expert, with a family from within or outside of Hampshire, you will always be welcome and find someone who has something new and interesting to share.
HGS Group Locations
Click on a pin for the address and directions.
HGS Family History Group and Society Events for the next 3 months
If you are interested in attending a ZOOM talk offered by any of the groups, please contact the appropriate group organiser to be added to the invitation list.
- January 27, 2021 - Basingstoke Group: Sarah Wells: “The Worst Housekeeper” - Bob France - via Zoom
- January 28, 2021 - Fareham Evening Group: Sons of the Soil: Researching our agricultural labouring ancestors - Janet Few - via Zoom
- February 1, 2021 - Romsey Group: The National Archives – Les Mitchinson - via Zoom
- February 6, 2021 - International Group: Inaugural Meeting - via Zoom [10AM GMT]
Meet and get to know your HGS Officers, Trustees and International Group Co-Organisers. You may wish to ask questions too.
- February 8, 2021 - Portsmouth Group: Talk subject TBA - Kirsty Gray - via Zoom
- February 9, 2021 - Fair Oak Group: Victorian Crime, Police & Criminals – Antony Marr - via Zoom
Antony is a retired police officer and now Chairman of AGRA (Association of Genealogists & Researchers in Archives).
- February 10, 2021 - Gosport Group: U-Boat Enigmas - Tony Babb - via Zoom
- February 10, 2021 - International Group: Recorded version of the “Inaugural Meeting” - via Zoom [8PM GMT]
A recorded version of the 'Inaugural Meeting' where members had the opportunity to meet and get to know the HGS Officers, Trustees and International Group Co-Organisers.
- February 11, 2021 - Andover Group: The National Archives - Simon Fowler - via Zoom
Simon will help us make better use of TNA resources both when we can return, and online.
- February 11, 2021 - Fleet & Farnborough Group: Member’s Talk: From St Ives to St Bees - Geoff Key - via Zoom
- February 17, 2021 - Fareham Afternoon Group: ** Winter Break - Back in March
- February 17, 2021 - Ringwood Group: Swing Riots - Elaine Boyes - via Zoom
- February 18, 2021 - Winchester Group: Documenting your Family History or "How to get all of your stuff organised" - Jane Fox - via Zoom
- February 24, 2021 - Basingstoke Group: Using Quarter Sessions Administrative Records for Family History - Claire Moores - via Zoom
- February 25, 2021 - Fareham Evening Group: Manorial Worth: How the manorial system operated and what records it generated - Ian Waller - via Zoom
- March 1, 2021 - Romsey Group: Secrets and Lies: adventures in family history – Frances Hurd - via Zoom
- March 8, 2021 - Portsmouth Group: Tracing your House History - Lucy Browne - via Zoom
- March 9, 2021 - Fair Oak Group: Sons of the Soil (ag labs) – Janet Few - via Zoom
Janet is an historical interpreter, writer, speaker and researcher.
- March 10, 2021 - Gosport Group: Sentiments in Silk - Neil Littleales - via Zoom
- March 11, 2021 - Andover Group: Employment Records - Colin Moretti - via Zoom
- March 11, 2021 - Fleet & Farnborough Group: Birth and Death - Antony Marr - via Zoom
- March 17, 2021 - Fareham Afternoon Group: Tracing your Brewery and Publican Ancestors - Simon Fowler - via Zoom
- March 17, 2021 - Ringwood Group: The French Church. Huguenots and Walloon refuges in Southampton - Cheryl Butler - via Zoom
- March 18, 2021 - Winchester Group: Members' Evening - TBA - via Zoom
- March 24, 2021 - Basingstoke Group: Members’ Presentation Show and Tell: Show your favourite object to the group
- March 25, 2021 - Fareham Evening Group: Members' Evening – To be Arranged - via Zoom
- April 6, 2021 - Portsmouth Group: Members’ Evening: Your House History
A members' evening following on from the March talk. Fiona Ranger, Portsmouth Group Leader, would love to hear from you. Have you got a house story to tell? To enable the evening to be a success, please contact Fiona with what you would like to share.
- April 7, 2021 - International Group: A History of Hampshire through 10 Objects - Tony Cross - via Zoom [8PM GMT]
The county of Hampshire has a long and distinguished history and this talk attempts to describe a number of important episodes through carefully selected items that have historical importance.
- April 8, 2021 - Andover Group: Tracing Tudor and Stuart Ancestors - Gill Blanchard - via Zoom
- April 12, 2021 - Romsey Group: My Website – Kay Lovell + Members’ accounts of how they share their family history with others (via Zoom if necessary)
- April 13, 2021 - Fair Oak Group: 20103 - Finding My Foundling - Paul Richardson - via Zoom
- April 14, 2021 - Gosport Group: Victorian Merchant Navy - Simon Wills - via Zoom
- April 15, 2021 - Winchester Group: Murder, Desertion & Death: the story of 4 Southampton seamen - Michael Hobbs - via Zoom
- April 21, 2021 - Ringwood Group: Voyages from the past: what it was like for our ancestors who travel by sea - Simon Wills - via Zoom
- April 28, 2021 - Basingstoke Group: My Ancestor was a Liar; Ignorance, half-truths or wilful deceit - Dave Annal