HGS Family History Groups
We meet monthly to discuss the opportunity to share, learn, exchange ideas and information, as well as to help us each further explore our family history projects. Why not come along and see for yourself?
- You can attend meetings of any of our 13 active groups. All groups meet in the evening with the exception of the Afternoon Group – see page via Groups Menu for details.
- Visit their pages via the Groups Menu to see their monthly programme of talks, news and articles. Contact a Group Organiser using the form at the bottom of each Group’s page.
- Come and meet like-minded people. HGS Group Meetings are free to members and prospective members.
- They are a good way to gain some new insights on how to further explore your family history.
- Whether you are a beginner or an expert, with a family from within or outside of Hampshire, you will always be welcome and find someone who has something new and interesting to share.
Why go to a HGS Group meeting?
If you are curious, then check out this article https://www.hgs-familyhistory.com/2018/03/why-go-to-an-hgs-group-meeting/
HGS Group Locations
Click on a pin for the address and directions.
HGS Family History Group and Society Events for the next 3 months
- October 24, 2018 - Basingstoke Group: Getting the best from The National Archives & its Website - Simon Fowler
The National Archives website is a key resource for family historians but it can be hard to make head or tail of it. This evening’s talk will show you how to get the best from the website and Discovery catalogue. The session should reveal new sources at Kew for you to explore for that elusive ancestor.
- October 25, 2018 - Fareham Group: The Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) to 1918 - Tony Babb
The kite, the balloon and the airplane played major roles in the early history of the RNAS but so did the armoured car, the armoured column, bombing, air defence of the UK and even tanks.
- November 5, 2018 - Portsmouth Group: Members' Evening - A family story using tips from our September talk on 'Writing your Family History'
Have ago at writing up a story on one of your ancestors using the tips and advice learned from our September speaker, Chris Lightfoot
- November 5, 2018 - Romsey Group: Family Legends - Kay Lovell
How many of us have grown up hearing a family story or two? How many of us have been able to confirm the truth? How many of us have had to admit there was no truth at all? In her talk, Kay refers to such stories in her own family history, and explains how most of them did indeed turn out to be true! She explains how she has been able to add detail to some of them and also includes further stories that she has unearthed during her research.
- November 8, 2018 - Andover Group: Memories of a Guernsey Deportee - Mike Martel
- November 8, 2018 - Fleet & Farnborough Group: How Life Changed Forever in 1914 - Anne Carter – A Federation of Family History Societies’ speaker
A talk about how we lived and how we reacted.
- November 9, 2018 - New Milton & Christchurch Group: Where did that name come from? - John Heighes
Surnames, trade names and places.
- November 12, 2018 - Alton Group: Don’t Believe Everything You’re Told - Jane Fox
- November 13, 2018 - Fair Oak Group: The Story of Itchen Ferry Village - Cheryl Butler
- November 14, 2018 - Gosport Group: Online Newspapers – Colin Moretti
- November 19, 2018 - Southampton Group: Members’ Evening
- November 21, 2018 - Afternoon Group: Portsmouth: The Home Front - Chris Pennycook
What was life like at home when the Pompey Pals - 14th and 15th Hampshire Regiment - went off to war? Chris will talk about the women who stepped into roles of the men folk.
- November 21, 2018 - Ringwood Group: The Victoria Cross awards to the Hants Regiment in WW1 - Nick Saunders
- November 22, 2018 - Fareham Group: Marmalade, Spuds & A Bag of Gold: Gift Giving in Tudor Southampton - Cheryl Butler
There were 12 days of festivities for a Tudor Christmas but no presents till 12th night – and some not till April. Gift giving was designed to gain favours, so local nobles could find wine, oranges and potatoes among their presents.
The talk will be followed by an American Supper.
- November 28, 2018 - Basingstoke Group: Our Christmas Function
- December 3, 2018 - Portsmouth Group: Christmas Social
- December 3, 2018 - Romsey Group: Christmas Get Together
- December 10, 2018 - Alton Group: Members’ Evening - Share Mince Pies and a Family Card
- December 11, 2018 - Fair Oak Group: Christmas Social
- December 13, 2018 - Andover Group: Christmas Meeting
- December 13, 2018 - Fleet & Farnborough Group: Christmas Party
- December 14, 2018 - New Milton & Christchurch Group: Tiny things - Daphne Austin
But as challenging as ever – our end of year quiz!
- December 17, 2018 - Southampton Group: Marmalade, Spuds & A Bag of Gold: Gift Giving in Tudor Southampton - Cheryl Butler. To be followed by Christmas buffet.
- December 19, 2018 - Afternoon Group: TBA - Please check back!
- December 19, 2018 - Ringwood Group: Members' Evening - Christmas Festivities
- December 26, 2018 - Basingstoke Group: ** No meeting in December - Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year!
- December 27, 2018 - Fareham Group: ** No meeting in December - Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year!
Choose a Group
Ringwood Community Centre Annual Quiz
Paul Pinhorne, Mary Baldwin and Michael Jenkinson, members of the HGS Ringwood Group took part in the Ringwood Community Centre Annual Quiz last month. The team has won their first match 28-6 against the Anglo-Italian Society. They go through to the final night on 26th March. Can they improve on their runner-up position from last […]
Why Go to a HGS Group Meeting?
So why would you want to get up out of your armchair and drag yourself away from your computer to attend a HGS meeting …? There are 13 HGS groups which currently meet monthly at venues around the county: Afternoon Group / Alton / Andover / Basingstoke / Fair Oak / Fareham / Fleet & Farnborough / Gosport / New Milton & […]
HGS Ringwood team runners-up in local quiz
Ringwood Community Centre Annual Quiz Several members of the HGS Ringwood Group recently took part in the Ringwood Community Centre Annual Quiz. The team over the 2 nights consisted of Paul Pinhorne, Mary Baldwin, Michael Jenkinson and George Hilbert. The team won their first 2 matches to go through to the final, but were unable […]
Portsmouth Couple Married in India – 1899
A couple from Portsmouth married in Bombay in 1899. The announcement was in a Hampshire newspaper nearly three months later. Who were they and why were they in India?
The Internet Library of Early Journals
Researching family history means having to explore many avenues, one useful free resource is the Internet Library of Early Journals