HGS Family History Groups
We meet monthly to discuss the opportunity to share, learn, exchange ideas and information, as well as to help us each further explore our family history projects. Why not come along and see for yourself?
- You can attend meetings of any of our 14 active groups – our newest being Winchester! All groups meet in the evening with the exception of the Afternoon Group – see page via Groups Menu for details.
- Visit their pages via the Groups Menu to see their monthly programme of talks, news and articles. Contact a Group Organiser using the form at the bottom of each Group’s page.
- Come and meet like-minded people. HGS Group Meetings are free to members and prospective members.
- They are a good way to gain some new insights on how to further explore your family history.
- Whether you are a beginner or an expert, with a family from within or outside of Hampshire, you will always be welcome and find someone who has something new and interesting to share.
HGS Group Locations
Click on a pin for the address and directions.
HGS Family History Group and Society Events for the next 3 months
- January 22, 2020 - Basingstoke Group: Members’ Presentations - Trades and Occupations in the Family
- January 23, 2020 - Fareham Group: Basic Research Techniques - Jane Fox
Looking at basic research techniques, including citations vs sources.
- February 3, 2020 - Portsmouth Group: The Life of Thomas Pounde (1539 - 1614) of Belmonde: An Account of His Life in Riddle and Rhyme - Dr Alison Habens
- February 3, 2020 - Romsey Group: Members’ Evening – Website Update and a Look at Facebook + HGS Bookstall
- February 10, 2020 - Alton Group: Annual Review + Have you found any good Websites lately?
- February 11, 2020 - Fair Oak Group: Searching for Ancestors When You’re Adopted - Penny Walters
- February 12, 2020 - Gosport Group: Members’ Evening
- February 13, 2020 - Andover Group: The Timsbury Triangle: a tale of scandal and intrigue over 20 years - Richard Backhouse
- February 13, 2020 - Fleet & Farnborough Group: Members’ Evening – 'A House in Time'
The story of a House in your family history or in your local area.
- February 14, 2020 - New Milton & Christchurch Group: The New HGS Website & Pop Up Bookstall - Gwen Newland (HGS Secretary) & Elaine Boyes (Bookstall)
We meet two major contributors to the Society.
- February 19, 2020 - Afternoon Group: Winter Break - No Meeting
- February 20, 2020 - Winchester Group: Writing up your Family History: how to get started - Chris Lightfoot
- February 26, 2020 - Basingstoke Group: Members’ Presentations - Emigration in the Family (not convicts)
- February 27, 2020 - Fareham Group: Members’ Evening – including HGS Bookstall and demo of new website/social media
- March 2, 2020 - Portsmouth Group: My Genealogical Journey - Phil Brown
- March 2, 2020 - Romsey Group: Brick Walls and Lost Ancestors: problem solving for family historians – David Annal
- March 10, 2020 - Fair Oak Group: Members’ Evening - to include demo of new website/social media - Elaine Boyes/Gwen Newland
- March 11, 2020 - Gosport Group: Murder, Desertion & Death - Mike Hobbs
Mike's talk is the story of 4 merchant seamen from Southampton.
- March 12, 2020 - Andover Group: Paupers, Peasants or Proletariat? Who were the Swing Rioters of Winchester? - Elaine Boyes
- March 12, 2020 - Fleet & Farnborough Group: Minley Manor – Major Ian Mattison (ret’d)
A jewel, with compelling architectural history and fascinating story of four generations of the Currie family giving an insight into in late 19th and early twentieth centuries.
- March 13, 2020 - New Milton & Christchurch Group: The Long Road to Universal Suffrage - John Heighes
From the Barons to Votes for Women.
- March 19, 2020 - Winchester Group: Using DNA to further your research - Graham and Rosemary Mist
- March 25, 2020 - Basingstoke Group: My Ancestor was a Liar - Dave Annal
- March 26, 2020 - Fareham Group: The History and Mystery of Maps - Tony Painter
- April 6, 2020 - Portsmouth Group: Winchester: Bishops, buildings and bones: Part 2 - Andrew Negus
- April 6, 2020 - Romsey Group: The National Archives – Les Mitchinson
- April 8, 2020 - Gosport Group: The Excise at Work - Phoebe Merrick
- April 9, 2020 - Andover Group: Members’ Evening
- April 14, 2020 - Fair Oak Group: Who the Hell is Arthur? - Neil Littleales
- April 16, 2020 - Winchester Group: Murder, Desertion and Death: The story of 4 Southampton seamen - Mike Hobbs
- April 16, 2020 - Fleet & Farnborough Group: Annual Meeting and Members’ Talks
- April 17, 2020 - New Milton & Christchurch Group: Other Societies and What They Offer - Four of Our Members
But tell us of any others you belong to.
- April 22, 2020 - Basingstoke Group: Moving Forward: How to bring your research up to date - Antony Marr
- April 23, 2020 - Fareham Group: Members’ Evening – To be Arranged
- May 4, 2020 - Portsmouth Group: Members’ Evening - House History
- May 4, 2020 - Romsey Group: In My Father’s Footsteps - Dave Lovell
Dave will recount his father’s PoW experience during WW2 and the long march he and thousands of others were forced to make across Eastern Europe during 1945 when the war was coming to an end.