HGS Family History Groups
*** With the unpredictable situation surrounding Covid-19, HGS has taken the decision to cancel all in-person group meetings for the time being.
Many of our groups will run virtual meetings, using Zoom, so please check the individual group pages for details.
If you are interested in attending a talk offered by any of the groups, please feel free to contact the appropriate group organiser to be added to the invitation list.
Please check back regularly for updates.***
We meet monthly to discuss the opportunity to share, learn, exchange ideas and information, as well as to help us each further explore our family history projects. Why not come along and see for yourself?
- You can attend meetings of any of our 13 active groups – our newest being Winchester! All groups meet in the evening with the exception of the Fareham Afternoon Group – see page via Groups Menu for details.
- Visit their pages via the Groups Menu to see their monthly programme of talks, news and articles. Contact a Group Organiser using the form at the bottom of each Group’s page.
- Come and meet like-minded people. HGS Group Meetings are free to members and prospective members.
- They are a good way to gain some new insights on how to further explore your family history.
- Whether you are a beginner or an expert, with a family from within or outside of Hampshire, you will always be welcome and find someone who has something new and interesting to share.
HGS Group Locations
Click on a pin for the address and directions.
HGS Family History Group and Society Events for the next 3 months
If you are interested in attending a ZOOM talk offered by any of the groups, please contact the appropriate group organiser to be added to the invitation list.
- November 2, 2020 - Portsmouth Group: Maps - Les Mitchinson - via Zoom
Maps are valuable to family historians seeking to locate their ancestor’s property or to place them in a particular location.
- November 2, 2020 - Romsey Group: Members’ Evening – Military Ancestors - via Zoom
With November being the month of remembrance, and with 2020 being the 75th anniversary of the end of WW2, this meeting will focus on those who served in the military forces. It will be an opportunity for our members to share stories of their own ancestors and relatives.
- November 10, 2020 - Fair Oak Group: Murder, Desertion & Death: the story of four Merchant Seaman from Southampton - Mike Hobbs - via Zoom
- November 11, 2020 - Gosport Group: U-boat Enigmas - Tony Babb
- November 12, 2020 - Andover Group: Members’ Evening - The black sheep in my family - via Zoom
Most of us have an ancestor or two who is less praise-worthy, if not actually evil or criminal so some members will be “spilling the beans” on a deceased relative. There may be some interesting tales awaiting us!
- November 12, 2020 - Fleet & Farnborough Group: Hampshire History through Ten Objects – Tony Cross - via Zoom
From fossils and flints, buckles and belts, through pistols and Spitfires to Victory and history.
- November 18, 2020 - Fareham Afternoon Group: Members' Afternoon - A Criminal in Your Family? - via Zoom
Following on from Colin Moretti's talk last month, we will share details of our criminal ancestors. Maybe they were a vagrant, didn't have a dog license, masterminded a robbery or they were a murderer! What was their punishment?
- November 18, 2020 - Ringwood Group: Families Divided by War - Paul Radford
- November 19, 2020 - Winchester Group: Suffering Suffragettes - Jane Glennie
- November 25, 2020 - Basingstoke Group: Christmas Function
- November 26, 2020 - Fareham Evening Group: TBA - Neil Littleales followed by an American Buffet
- December 7, 2020 - Portsmouth Group: Christmas Evening
- December 7, 2020 - Romsey Group: Christmas meeting with ‘at home’ refreshments + British Christmas Traditions – Kay Lovell - via Zoom
- December 8, 2020 - Fair Oak Group: Christmas Social
- December 9, 2020 - Gosport Group: Members’ Evening
- December 10, 2020 - Andover Group: Christmas Meeting
- December 10, 2020 - Fleet & Farnborough Group: Members' Only Christmas Party - via Zoom
- December 16, 2020 - Fareham Afternoon Group: Members' Afternoon - Christmas Function - via Zoom
- December 16, 2020 - Ringwood Group: Christmas Festivities
- December 23, 2020 - Basingstoke Group: ** No meeting in December - Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year!