HGS Family History Groups
We meet monthly to discuss the opportunity to share, learn, exchange ideas and information, as well as to help us each further explore our family history projects. Why not come along and see for yourself?
- You can attend meetings of any of our 14 active groups – our newest being Winchester! All groups meet in the evening with the exception of the Afternoon Group – see page via Groups Menu for details.
- Visit their pages via the Groups Menu to see their monthly programme of talks, news and articles. Contact a Group Organiser using the form at the bottom of each Group’s page.
- Come and meet like-minded people. HGS Group Meetings are free to members and prospective members.
- They are a good way to gain some new insights on how to further explore your family history.
- Whether you are a beginner or an expert, with a family from within or outside of Hampshire, you will always be welcome and find someone who has something new and interesting to share.
Why go to a HGS Group meeting?
If you are curious, then check out this article
HGS Group Locations
Click on a pin for the address and directions.
HGS Family History Group and Society Events for the next 3 months
- June 26, 2019 - Basingstoke Group: Civil Registration: A Registrar’s View - Antony Marr
Antony Marr will explain the mysteries of Civil Registration looking at it from a registrar’s view. A seasoned family history researcher, appearing on BBC TV programmes “Family Finders” and “Who Do You Think You Are”, Antony also worked as a Deputy Registrar in Buckinghamshire dealing with all aspects of Births, Marriages and Deaths in the county. It is from this unique standpoint that he is able to bring an understanding of the registration system which is so important to family historians.
- June 27, 2019 - Fareham Group: Guided Walk of Winchester
- July 1, 2019 - Romsey Group: Opening the Box: Research, Genealogy & Skeletons – Tony Babb
- July 4, 2019 - Afternoon Group: Guided Walk
- July 5, 2019 - New Milton & Christchurch Group: Tales from St. Mark’s churchyard - Audrey Brinsford *** Note change of date!
More of Audrey’s research into our local church.
- July 8, 2019 - Alton Group: Members’ Evening: Problems and Successes
- July 9, 2019 - Fair Oak Group: To the End of their Days - Tony Cross
- July 10, 2019 - Gosport Group: Secrets and Lies - Dr Frances Hurd
- July 11, 2019 - Andover Group: Members’ Evening
- July 11, 2019 - Fleet & Farnborough Group: Adoption - Penny Walters
Penny was adopted at birth, and her ancestral search has taken her through South Wales coal mines to the Irish famine. DNA testing revealing Irish heritage.
- July 15, 2019 - Southampton Group: Searching for Ancestors When You’re Adopted - Penny Walters
- July 17, 2019 - Ringwood Group: Members' Evening - Member's Stories
- July 18, 2019 - Winchester Group: Rural Ancestors - Brenda Goddard
- July 24, 2019 - Basingstoke Group: Members’ Presentations - DNA Findings
- July 25, 2019 - Fareham Group: Matters of Grave Concern - Jane Painter
A look at how our ancestors were remembered through such items as memorial cards and headstones.
- August 5, 2019 - Portsmouth Group: Summer Break - No meeting
- August 5, 2019 - Romsey Group: Summer Break: No meeting
- August 8, 2019 - Andover Group: Summer Break - No meeting
- August 8, 2019 - Fleet & Farnborough Group: Social Event - To be arranged
- August 9, 2019 - New Milton & Christchurch Group: Members' Evening - My overseas cousins
That extra dimension to your family history.
- August 12, 2019 - Alton Group: Summer Break - No meeting
- August 13, 2019 - Fair Oak Group: Summer Outing: Guided Walk of Botley - Eric Reed
Time / meeting place TBA
- August 14, 2019 - Gosport Group: Summer Break - No meeting
- August 15, 2019 - Winchester Group: Members' Evening - Where have you got with your research?
- August 19, 2019 - Southampton Group: Members’ Evening
- August 21, 2019 - Ringwood Group: Members' Evening - Skittles
- August 22, 2019 - Fareham Group: Members’ Evening - Memorial cards, newspaper reports, obituaries
- August 28, 2019 - Basingstoke Group: Summer Function. Members only visit to the Mayor’s Parlour.
- September 2, 2019 - Portsmouth Group: The French Church: Responses to Immigration in the sixteenth century - Cheryl Butler
The history of the chapel of St Julien and the lives of the Walloon and Huguenot refugees who fled persecution to find a welcome in Southampton …. Or did they?
- September 2, 2019 - Romsey Group: Members’ Evening – “My Genealogical Journey” by Phil Brown
If time, “What’s Your Problem?” – a chance for members to help each other with their research.
- September 9, 2019 - Alton Group: Members’ Evening: Problems and Successes
- September 10, 2019 - Fair Oak Group: Stroppy Women - Cheryl Butler
- September 11, 2019 - Gosport Group: Researching my Grandfathers - Alan Petrie
- September 12, 2019 - Andover Group: Dating Old Photographs - Jayne Shrimpton
- September 12, 2019 - Fleet & Farnborough Group: Members' Evening - Wills & Beneficiaries' Project
Choose a Group
HGS on Radio Solent
On Friday 1st February, Radio Solent broadcasted their Sasha Twining Show from the Dolphin Shopping Centre in Poole. Along with two other experts, HGS Chairman and Ringwood Group member Paul Pinhorne, along with Pat and George Hilbert, also from the Ringwood Group were there to help people with their family history research. Many interesting questions […]
Ringwood Community Centre Annual Quiz
Paul Pinhorne, Mary Baldwin and Michael Jenkinson, members of the HGS Ringwood Group took part in the Ringwood Community Centre Annual Quiz last month. The team has won their first match 28-6 against the Anglo-Italian Society. They go through to the final night on 26th March. Can they improve on their runner-up position from last […]
Why Go to a HGS Group Meeting?
So why would you want to get up out of your armchair and drag yourself away from your computer to attend a HGS meeting …? There are 13 HGS groups which currently meet monthly at venues around the county: Afternoon Group / Alton / Andover / Basingstoke / Fair Oak / Fareham / Fleet & Farnborough / Gosport / New Milton & […]
HGS Ringwood team runners-up in local quiz
Ringwood Community Centre Annual Quiz Several members of the HGS Ringwood Group recently took part in the Ringwood Community Centre Annual Quiz. The team over the 2 nights consisted of Paul Pinhorne, Mary Baldwin, Michael Jenkinson and George Hilbert. The team won their first 2 matches to go through to the final, but were unable […]
Portsmouth Couple Married in India – 1899
A couple from Portsmouth married in Bombay in 1899. The announcement was in a Hampshire newspaper nearly three months later. Who were they and why were they in India?