HGS Family History Groups
*** Although most HGS groups have resumed in-person meetings, some are continuing to run meetings via Zoom, and others are running hybrid meetings [a mixture of in-person and Zoom], so please do check to see the type of meeting.
For hybrid meetings or those that are held via Zoom only, please contact the appropriate Group Organiser no later than 24 hours prior to the talk to be added to the invitation list. Remember to include your membership number or indicate if you are a guest.
If you plan on travelling to an in-person meeting where you are not already on the Group Organiser’s contact list, we suggest that you contact the Group Organiser to let them know: this way, if the meeting is cancelled (e.g. due to speaker unavailability) they will be able to let you know, saving you an unnecessary trip.
We meet regularly to discuss the opportunity to share, learn, exchange ideas and information, as well as to help us each further explore our family history projects. Why not come along and see for yourself?
- You can attend the meetings of any of our 12 Hampshire-based groups.
- The International Group meetings are held every two months via Zoom: these meetings are on alternate months to the National Group meetings.
- The National Group meetings are held every two months via Zoom: these meeting are on alternate months to the International Group meetings.
- Visit a Group’s page (via the menu on the right) to see their programme of talks, news and articles. Contact a Group Organiser using the form at the bottom of their Group page.
- Come and meet like-minded people. HGS Group Meetings are free to members and prospective members.
- They are a good way to gain some new insights on how to further explore your family history.
- Whether you are a beginner or an expert, with a family from within or outside of Hampshire, you will always be welcome and find someone who has something new and interesting to share.
HGS Group Locations
Click on a pin for the address and directions.
HGS Family History Group and Society Events for the next 3 months
To attend a Zoom talk offered by any of the groups, please contact the appropriate group organiser no later than 24 hours prior to the talk. Please include your membership number or indicate if you are a guest.
- June 1, 2022 - International Group: Haul Away Joe! A Merchant Seaman in the Family - Lucy Browne
The subject of seafaring ancestors can feel as wide as the oceans themselves. Whether you have spied "Mariner" in a baptism register or fished out a Merchant Navy headband from a box during a house clearance, Lucy plans to set your sails in the right direction to find out more.
- June 6, 2022 - Romsey Group: My Czech Roots – Margaret Bowman
- June 8, 2022 - Gosport Group: Members’ Evening
- June 9, 2022 - Andover Group: Members' Evening – content TBA
- June 9, 2022 - Fleet & Farnborough Group: The Real Downton Abbey - Ian Porter
- June 13, 2022 - Portsmouth Group: Apprentices and associated records - Colin Moretti
How to find the records of apprentices.
- June 13, 2022 - Alton Group: Crime and Punishment - Colin Moretti
- June 14, 2022 - Fair Oak Group: Death Records: Bringing Your Ancestors to Life - Jane Fox **This is change to programme
- June 15, 2022 - Ringwood Group: It started with a kiss (the story of Dillon Thomas in Ringwood) - Jacqueline and Brian Sutton - at the Meeting House
- June 16, 2022 - Winchester Group: Quarantining and Social Distancing in the Tudor Times - Cheryl Butler
- June 22, 2022 - Basingstoke Group: Members’ Evening: Railway Ancestors
- June 23, 2022 - Fareham Evening Group: Members’ Evening
- July 4, 2022 - Romsey Group: The History and Mystery of Funeral - Susan Flipping
- July 6, 2022 - National Group: Prison and Criminal Court Records - Gill Blanchard
How to find and use records of criminal ancestors and their victims locally, nationally and online.
- July 11, 2022 - Alton Group: Members’ Evening - Problems and Successes
- July 11, 2022 - Portsmouth Group: Portsmouth's Roller Skating Past 1875-1950s - Sue Shuttleworth
- July 12, 2022 - Fair Oak Group: A History of Hampshire – Continued - Tony Cross
- July 13, 2022 - Gosport Group: Searching for Dora - Les Mitcheson
- July 14, 2022 - Andover Group: The Tolpuddle Martys – Ron Bryan
- July 20, 2022 - Ringwood Group: When London planners had designs on Ringwood in the 1950`s - Ken Chatfield - at the Meeting House
- July 21, 2022 - Winchester Group: Parish Registers - Colin Moretti
- July 27, 2022 - Basingstoke Group: To be confirmed - please check back
- August 1, 2022 - Romsey Group: Tour of Hampshire Record Office [tbc]
- August 6, 2022 - International Group: Tying the Knot: Marriage and its Records - Gill Blanchard
The history of marriage in England and Wales. Why and how the law changed over time and the records that have been generated.
- August 8, 2022 - Alton Group: ** No meeting in August **
- August 8, 2022 - Portsmouth Group: ** No meeting in August **
- August 9, 2022 - Fair Oak Group: Summer Outing - Guided Walk of North Stoneham - Eric Reed
- August 10, 2022 - Gosport Group: No meeting
- August 11, 2022 - Andover Group: ** No meeting in August **
- August 17, 2022 - Ringwood Group: Members' Event - Cream Tea
- August 18, 2022 - Winchester Group: Members' Meeting - Experienced helping the inexperienced
- August 24, 2022 - Basingstoke Group: Afternoon Outing - details to follow
- September 5, 2022 - Romsey Group: Mixing DNA Results with a Paper Trail- Dr Penny Walters
- September 7, 2022 - National Group: Sentiments in Silk - Neil Littleales
A study of Silk Postcards dealing with the manufacturing history and embroidery styles of these richly designed items, and the part they played during First World War (1914-18). The talk is supported by Neil's own vast collection of cards and considers case studies involving the recipient and sender of various cards, detailing the family and social history surrounding them.
- September 8, 2022 - Andover Group: Death and Taxes: Understanding the Death Duty Registers - David Annal