HGS Research Centre
- Do not visit if you have symptoms of COVID-19
- We are open on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10am to 4pm
- Face coverings are encouraged when visiting us
As well as our online data we have a Research Centre at Hampshire Record Office, Sussex Street, Winchester SO23 8TH which is run by volunteers. Since 1974 HGS volunteers have collected, transcribed, published and made accessible a large collection of family history records, data and historical documents relating to Hampshire. You can also have FREE access to FindMyPast and other family history sites.
Our volunteers are available to advise, guide and assist those wishing to further their research and we welcome all visitors. The best way to contact our volunteers is to use the website enquiry form or visit the centre. You can, of course, contact us by letter or telephone.
Most simple enquiries are free to members, for more complex queries and for non-members there will be a charge which will be quoted in advance. If you need a chargeable service, we can discuss your requirements. So that we do not duplicate research, it is helpful if you are able to provide us with a summary of your research so far. We will never charge without a prior discussion with you.
A single name search of our digital indexes is £2 for the first 20 entries and 10p per subsequent entry.
A single name search of specific parish holding information on your family is £15.00 per hour.
For a printed family tree please contact us so we can discuss your requirements.
Library Holdings in Our Research Centre
Our Library contains over 3,000 books and publications including:
- Trade Directories (eg Kelly’s)
- Local History books for Hampshire cities, towns and villages
- County History Books for Hampshire
- Military History Books
- A selection of records for nearby counties (eg Wiltshire)
- Non-Conformist and Catholic Records
- A selection of Hampshire maps from early dates
- Books to help beginners or more experienced researchers trace and interpret records (eg Eve McLaughlin Guides
For an up to date list see our Research Centre catalogue.
Digital and Microfiche Indexes – mostly pre 20th Century – including:
- Hampshire Wills Beneficiary Index
- Hampshire Family Historian Surnames
- Bankruptcy Records
- Hampshire Militia Muster Rolls
- Dockyard Apprenticeship Records
- Coastguard Records
- Land Tax Records
- British Deaths Overseas
- Unwanted Certificates (available to buy)
- Bessant Indexes (certificates relating to the Bessant family)
- Other smaller indexes
- British Isles Vital Records (2nd Edition)
- Family History Federation Burial Index (3rd Edition)