Fair Oak HGS Family History Group meet monthly for talks and visits to inspire and help you with your research
Welcome to the Fair Oak Group page. This friendly and welcoming group meets on the second Tuesday of each month in St Thomas’ Church Extension (attached to the Church), Mortimers Lane, Fair Oak. Doors open at 7:30 pm and the meeting begins at 8:00 pm. Fair Oak lies between Eastleigh and Bishop’s Waltham, in a semi-rural area. Our members come from the surrounding villages and we are always very pleased to welcome visitors and new members.
Joining your local group provides an opportunity to meet other people who share the same enthusiasm for family history, and to share skills and expertise. It’s also an opportunity for you to help others break down ‘brick walls’ in their research and have some help with your own. The talks, workshops, and social events also provide a great opportunity to extend your knowledge and have fun!
We will be writing articles about topics that are of particular interest to the Fair Oak Group and hope you will find them interesting as well. If you have an article that you would like included, we would be delighted to receive it.
HGS Fair Oak Group Events & Meetings
Our meetings are in-person unless indicated. If you are interested in attending a Zoom talk, please contact us using the below form no later than 24 hours prior to the talk to be added to the invitation list. Remember to include your membership number or indicate if you are a guest.
- December 12, 2023, 7:30 pm: Christmas Festivities
- January 9, 2024, 7:30 pm: A Genealogist’s Nightmare: Tracing the Smith Family of London - Janet Few - Via Zoom
- February 13, 2024, 7:30 pm: Heraldry: An Armorial Adventure for Beginners - Neil Littleales - via Zoom
- March 12, 2024, 7:30 pm: Members’ Evening
- April 9, 2024, 7:30 pm: The History of Chandlers Ford - John Lankester
- May 14, 2024, 7:30 pm: What did you do during the war, Mum? - Dave Allport
- June 11, 2024, 7:30 pm: Shopping in the High Street in the 1940s & 50s - John Pitman
- July 9, 2024, 7:30 pm: A History of Hampshire in 10 Objects – Part 4: Delving Deeper - Tony Cross
- August 13, 2024, 6:30 pm: Guided Walk – South Stoneham & Mansbridge - Eric Reed
- September 10, 2024, 7:30 pm: Strangers and Aliens: French Nick, Mrs Read the Saracen and Mrs Holmes’s Blackamoor - Cheryl Butler
- October 8, 2024, 7:30 pm: Members’ Evening
- November 12, 2024, 7:30 pm: Building Spitfires Without a Factory - Alan Matlock
- December 10, 2024, 7:30 pm: Christmas Festivities
The group organiser is Keith Turner. He can be contacted using the form on this page.
Find us here
St Thomas Church Hall
Hants SO50 7BG
Contact Fair Oak Group Organiser
If you would like to know more about the Fair Oak Group and its forthcoming events, then please contact the group organiser using this form.