Gosport HGS Family History Group meet monthly for talks and visits to inspire and help you with your research
Welcome to the Gosport Group page. This friendly and welcoming group meets at 7:30pm, on the second Wednesday of each month. Gosport is a town with a fascinating history located on a peninsular between Portsmouth and Southampton. Our members come from Gosport itself and the surrounding area. We are always very pleased to welcome visitors and new members.
Why Join Gosport Group?
Joining your local group provides an opportunity to meet other people who share the same enthusiasm for family history and to share their skills and expertise. It’s also an opportunity for you to help others break down ‘brick walls’ in their research. You could also get help with your own. The talks, workshops, and social events also provide a great opportunity to extend knowledge and have fun!
The group meetings are either a talk from a speaker on a family history related subject, or a Members’ Evening. They are usually arranged around members interests or a particular topic request. Tea/coffee and biscuits are available before the meeting, allowing everyone the opportunity to meet and chat with the speaker and each other – and plenty of time after the meeting to chat too!
View taken from Jackie Spencer’s bridge. Who was Jackie Spencer? He was the chap who looked after the railway bridge and stopped the housewives from taking the chalk to whiten their steps!
HGS Gosport Group Events & Meetings
*** We are resuming in-person meetings but will continue to run some meetings via Zoom, so please do check to see the type of meeting.
For those meetings that are held via Zoom, please contact us using the below form no later than 24 hours prior to the talk to be added to the invitation list. Remember to include your membership number or indicate if you are a guest.
- February 8, 2023, 7:30 pm: My ancestor was on the 1939 register - Well, they should have been! - John Hanson - via Zoom
- March 8, 2023, 7:30 pm: Members’ Evening
- April 12, 2023, 7:30 pm: Condoms, Sponges and Syringes: The 19th Century Radical Pioneers of Family Planning - Bob Forder
- May 10, 2023, 7:30 pm: Life as a Dockyard Matey - Rob Clark
- June 14, 2023, 7:30 pm: Members’ Evening
- July 12, 2023, 7:30 pm: Mishaps of a church organist 1947-2005 - Ruth Warren
- August 9, 2023, N/A: ** No meeting in August **
- September 13, 2023, 7:30 pm: Elizabeth and Her Many Husbands - Richard Webb (HGS Member)
- October 11, 2023, 7:30 pm: The Percy Toplis affair - Paul Stickler
- November 8, 2023, 7:30 pm: Jane Austen’s Best Friend - Jane Glennie
- December 13, 2023, 7:30 pm: Christmas Festivities
The group organiser is Jan Heath. She can be contacted using the form on this page.
Find Us Here:
The Scout Hut
Meeting at 7:30pm on the 2nd Wednesday of the month.