Gosport HGS Family History Group meet monthly for Talks to Inspire and Help your Research
Meets monthly to Inspire and Help your Family History Research.
Welcome to the Gosport Group page. This friendly and welcoming group meets at 7:30pm, on the second Wednesday of each month. Gosport is a town with a fascinating history located on a peninsular between Portsmouth and Southampton. Our members come from Gosport itself and the surrounding area. We are always very pleased to welcome visitors and new members.
Why Join Gosport Group?
Joining your local group provides an opportunity to meet other people who share the same enthusiasm for family history and to share their skills and expertise. It’s also an opportunity for you to help others break down ‘brick walls’ in their research. You could also get help with your own. The talks, workshops, and social events also provide a great opportunity to extend knowledge and have fun!
The group meetings are either a talk from a speaker on a family history related subject, or a Members’ Evening. They are usually arranged around members interests or a particular topic request. Tea/coffee and biscuits are available before the meeting, allowing everyone the opportunity to meet and chat with the speaker and each other – and plenty of time after the meeting to chat too!
HGS Gosport Group Events & Meetings
- January 8, 2020, 7:30 pm: Demystifying DNA - Neil Littleales
- February 12, 2020, 7:30 pm: Members’ Evening
- March 11, 2020, 7:30 pm: Murder, Desertion & Death - Mike Hobbs
Mike's talk is the story of 4 merchant seamen from Southampton.
- April 8, 2020, 7:30 pm: The Excise at Work - Phoebe Merrick
- May 13, 2020, 7:30 pm: Sentiments in Silk - Neil Littleales
A journey of discovery, taking the audience through a brief history of the silk postcard and its heyday during the First World War. Utilizing Neil’s vast collection of postcards, individual items are selected to demonstrate how the research discovered the story behind the message sent and those to whom, a century ago, the card meant so much.
- June 10, 2020, 7:30 pm: Members’ Evening
- July 8, 2020, 7:30 pm: The 1939 Register - Pat Hibert
- August 12, 2020, N/A: Summer Break - No Meeting
- September 9, 2020, 7:30 pm: Sarah Wells: "The worst housekeeper" - Bob France
Her celebrity son, HG Wells, considered her, “perhaps the worst housekeeper that ever was thought of.” Uppark’s Sarah Wells life was filled with hardships and disasters. Her diaries and son’s writings give a remarkable insight into her struggles: raising her family in poverty; a frequently absent and irresponsible husband; managing Uppark’s dysfunctional household. Why did she first take on the role of housekeeper when almost 60? Was she really as bad as HG suggests or just an “exhausted little woman” coping with insurmountable difficulties? Hear her life story and decide for yourself!
- October 14, 2020, 7:30 pm: Members’ Evening
- November 11, 2020, 7:30 pm: U-boat Enigmas - Tony Babb
- December 9, 2020, 7:30 pm: Members’ Evening
The group organiser is Marilyn Lovett. She can be contacted using the form on this page.
Find Us Here:
The Scout Hut
Meeting at 7:30pm on the 2nd Wednesday of the month.