Reap the Benefits of HGS Membership!
Membership of HGS is open to anyone interested in Family History.
We are here to help you explore, share, research, learn and progress your family history filling out the details of who your ancestors were, what they did and where they lived.
By becoming a member, you will benefit from:
- A Quarterly Journal, “The Hampshire Family Historian”, which is available either electronically via the website, where it can be read as a page turning document, or as a printed copy delivered by post.
- Access to our dedicated “Members’ Area” on the website where you will find information and data reserved for members only. You can also renew your membership and update your own Members’ Interests information when logged into this section.
- Free entry at our Research Centre in Cosham where, if you need help in using a computer for research, expert advice, or someone to research for you, our team of experienced volunteers are ready to help.
- Access to Hampshire Family History Indexes at our Research Centre where extensive Hampshire parish baptism, marriage and burial indexes, census records, monumental inscriptions and members’ surname interests are all available.
- Free attendance at Local Group Meetings which are held monthly offering active programmes including well-informed visiting speakers, members’ evenings, social events, visits and outings. Members may choose to attend any meeting and do not need to subscribe to a particular Group.
HGS Conference Day – Rosalind McCutcheon – Fact Sheet
The factsheet from Ros McCutcheon’s excellent talk at our recent Conference Day can be accessed via the following Link: Irish-Poor-Handout-June-2019-Ros-McCutcheon (1)
Wield village booklet now available
Wield, (VB103) is a small parish consisting of two settlements, Upper and Lower Wield, with Upper Wield being the principle one including the parish church. Wield is 6 miles west of Alton and 6 miles north-north-east of Alresford.
New Item in the Members Area
We are delighted to announce that we have a new set of data in our members area. The Muster Roll of the 2nd Battalion Hampshire Regiment dated 1889, by kind permission of two of our members, Kay and Dave Lovell,
Wield MI Correction
As with all data that gets indexed or transcribed there is always the possibility that information can be misread due to bad handwriting or general aging. Whilst preparing information for the forthcoming village booklet on Wield I have found a prime example of this.
Our Amazing Volunteers
A big, big thank you to the Bookstall volunteers who made Family Tree Live such a success. We were kept very busy for both days of the event helping people in the search of their Hampshire ancestors. And of course welcoming our many new members. L-R Angela Winteridge, Margaret Bowman, Chris Pavey, Fiona Ranger, Geoff […]