An 1810 Hampshire newspaper carried an appeal for information by the wives of two Gosport men who drowned in a Solent tragedy. Who were these men?
A notice appeared in the Hampshire Telegraph on 1 January 1810 from two wives whose husbands were lost following a Solent tragedy. The men were Nicholas JEMISON and William BURTON who were drowned when their Wherry No 426 was sunk. They were returning to Portsmouth from St Helens, Isle of Wight, when the accident happened late in 1809. A generous reward was offered by the wives for anybody who could provide information on the bodies being washed ashore.
The HGS Burial Index does not contain a burial for either man. Either the bodies were never recovered from the Solent, or if they were, they were unidentified.
Descriptions of the Missing Men
Nicholas JEMISON was aged 36, five feet five inches tall and lived in King Street, Gosport. His description was of fair complexion with light sandy, curly hair. He had a tattoo on his arm with his name and the hands of a man and woman joined with a heart between. He was wearing a brown Flushing jacket and trousers, blue Guernsey frock, white shirt with flannel under, red drawers, light boots and had a plaid handkerchief around his neck.
William BURTON was aged 50 from Cold Harbour, Gosport and was the same height as Nicholas JEMISON. His complexion was dark and his brown hair was starting to go grey. When lost in the Solent he was wearing a short brown jacket and waistcoat, short blue trousers, cotton shirt, water boots and a blue spotted handkerchief around his neck. He also had a silver watch in his pocket.
Researching the Families Left Behind
Research of HGS indexes reveal that before the Solent tragedy happened, Nicholas JEMISON married Mary Jane COATES in St Mary’s Church in Alverstoke on 2 November 1802. There are no baptisms for any children for Nicholas and Mary Jane in the HGS baptisms index. William BURTON married Mary JONES on 31 March 1783 in St Mary’s Church in Alverstoke. They had four children baptized in Holy Trinity Church in Gosport. Mary Ann Daniel on 1 May 1785, John on 18 April 1787, Francis Sophia on 10 November 1790 and Carolina on 9 May 1792.
By Roy Montgomery
HGS Research Centre
Winchester Independent Register – RG4-726
The registers for the Independent Chapel start in 1716 and many entries contain useful details. The spelling of the names written here are exactly as they were written into the register. Different ministers conducting the baptisms decided to record different items of information in addition to the dates and names.
Over Wallop village booklet now available
Over Wallop, once also known as Upper Wallop, (VB097) is located west of the A343 with the B3084 running through the Wallop valley from south-east to north-west. The Wallop Brook rises in the parish and flows south-east. The hamlet of Palestine is in the north
Stratfield Saye village booklet now available
Stratfield Saye village booklet Stratfield Saye (VB096) is located west of the A33 with the Berkshire county border along the Roman road to Silchester forming the parish boundary to the north. Originally the parish included Beech Hill in Berkshire until 1868 when that hamlet became a civil and ecclesiastical parish.
Don’t Always Believe It Update
Duplicate entries in parish registers Resulting from an enquiry recently received in the Research Center a very good example of duplicate entries in registers was found in Nutley and Preston Candover.
Poor Law Union Gazette – 1
Poor Law Union Gazette – 1 Newspapers are a very good source of information on some of our ancestors but they rarely give such detailed information on individuals as that found in the Poor Law Union Gazette.