Andover HGS Family History Group
Welcome to the Andover Group page! This friendly and welcoming group meets on the second Thursday of each month (except August) at The Weyhill Fairground Hall, near Andover, where there’s plenty of parking. Doors open at 7pm and the meeting begins promptly at 7:30 pm. We are always very pleased to welcome visitors and new members.
You don’t have to have Hampshire roots to join us: while most members live in Andover or within a ten-mile radius, a large number of us don’t have local connections, and are researching throughout the UK and beyond.
Our speakers cover a wide range of topics of relevance to any family historian. At Members’ Evenings we share stories, discoveries, challenges & brickwalls, expertise & skills – all of interest for long-term researchers and beginners alike. At all meetings there’s a chance to chat over tea/coffee.
We have an extensive library (free loans) of books, CDs, fiches, etc., with new acquisitions constantly being added to the catalogue (emailed to each member).
We organise occasional trips to Family History Shows and places of particular interest for our research.
HGS Andover Group Events & Meetings
*** Due to Covid restrictions, are meetings are currently taking place online. To attend these Zoom meetings, please contact the Group Organiser to be added to the invitation list.
- February 11, 2021, 7:15 pm: The National Archives - Simon Fowler - via Zoom
Simon will help us make better use of TNA resources both when we can return, and online.
- March 11, 2021, 7:15 pm: Employment Records - Colin Moretti - via Zoom
- April 8, 2021, 7:15 pm: Tracing Tudor and Stuart Ancestors - Gill Blanchard - via Zoom
- May 13, 2021, 7:15 pm: My Ancestors’ Travels by Sea - Simon Wills - via Zoom
- June 10, 2021, 7:15 pm: ’Roast Mongoose, anyone?’: How reliable are church registers? - Dennis Bill - via Zoom
Dennis shares some of his Family History research journey.
- July 8, 2021, 7:15 pm: Mixing DNA results and the paper trail - Penny Walters - via Zoom
Penny gives clear, down-to-earth tips and advice.
For further details, including the full year’s programme, please contact the Group Organiser, Ann McKenzie, via the form below.
Find Us Here:
Weyhill Fairground Hall
We meet on the 2nd Thursday of each month (except August).