Be part of Your Family History Community for just £15 a Year
Simply complete the form below to continue enjoying all of these benefits:
- Quarterly Journal – ‘The Hampshire Family Historian’ available from the website every quarter and access to back issues.
- Access to Hampshire Family History Indexes at HGS Research Centre – extensive Hampshire baptism, marriage, burial, census, monumental inscriptions, members interests and strays indexes.
- Local Group Monthly Meetings, with lively, well-informed, visiting speakers – members can choose to attend any meeting and do not need to belong to a particular group.
- Members Only Data, News and Articles
- Members Surname Interests – published in the next edition of the Journal when you join and retained on our database for future reference and matching.
- Members Handbook (PDF)
RIP Private Herbert Frank French
Herbert Frank FRENCH was born on 21st April 1884 at 11 Hyde Close in Winchester, the illegitimate son of Emily. On 18th January 1908 he married Sarah Ann (Annie) BIGNELL in Meonstoke and then settled in the village to raise their daughters Emily and Ivy. Herbert was initially in the Territorial Army then when WWI […]
Can you help
We have recently been passed a copy of a photograph with a request for more information, maybe the location or the purpose. A comment with the photo says that the men were in training but didn’t say what for.
Bigamy in 1820
The Hampshire Chronicle printed on 5th June 1820 carried a brief article on page 4 referring to three prisoners who had been committed to the County Gaol. One of the prisoners had been accused of bigamy but whereas most bigamists were men this was a woman.
Kingston Cemetery CD
KINGSTON CEMETERY CD HGS are very pleased to announce that a new CD is now available to buy for Kingston Cemetery, Portsmouth. The CD costs £10.00 and is available from our Research Centre in Cosham. It can be purchased in person, by post, through the sales section of our website or through our Bookstall.
RIP Gunner William Talmage
RIP Gunner William Talmage William TALMAGE was born in 1884 in Ramsbury, Wiltshire, and married Ellen Maria KNIGHT in Medstead in 1910. They had a butcher’s business in West Horsley, Surrey, but when the First World War started William was one of the many who volunteered and joined the Army.