If you would like the HGS Research Centre to help you with your HAMPSHIRE family history, the easiest way is to enquire by using the form at the bottom of the page.
Alternatively, please contact us in writing or by telephone.
Our researchers will assess your query and endeavour to help whenever possible. If they are unable to assist they may be able to suggest other avenues for you to try.
Before completing the form, please read the following information:
- Research enquiries should be only for the county of Hampshire (or areas previously in Hampshire excluding the Isle of Wight).
- If you have a query relating to the Isle of Wight, please contact the Isle of Wight Family History Society who have their own records.
- Queries should relate to the pre-20thCentury as we hold very few later resources.
- If you require local knowledge of a specific area of Hampshire, your query may be passed on to an HGS local group leader who has more knowledge of that area.
- Our parish record indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials cover all Hampshire mainland parishes and are largely Anglican. We hold records that have survived from the commencement of parish registers in 1538 up to and including the 19th There are no 20th century entries.
- Most simple queries are free. If you require more complex or time-consuming research, including help with your family tree, there is an hourly charge of £15.00.
- If you require a search of the parish register indexes there is also a charge. Please see the table below for Chargeable Index Searches.
- When requiring a chargeable search, it is advisable that you contact us in advance so that we can discuss your requirements and give you a quote. In order to avoid duplicating any research, it is also helpful if you provide us with a brief summary of your research so far.
CHARGEABLE INDEX SEARCHES
- Miscellaneous Indexes: Search of our miscellaneous indexes for reference to a single name identified as a result of a free search of the Surname Index – £1.00. Result details vary widely according to where the name appears; for example, if the name appears on a register of workhouse inmates it will typically give the date of admission, age when admitted, marital status, date of leaving or death, workhouse occupation, settlement criteria, and sometimes additional notes.
- Baptism Index (1538-1874): Single name search – £2.00 covers the first 20 entries found.. Subsequent entries of the same name – 10p per entry. Details given in the result: child’s name, parents’ names, date and parish. Pre-1812 entries may have extra details noted in the register.
- Marriage Index (1538-1837): Single name search – £2.00 covers the first 20 entries found. . Subsequent entries of the same name – 10p per entry. Details given in the result: names of bride and groom, date and parish.
- Burial Index (1538-1865): Single name search – £2.00 covers the first 20 entries found. . Subsequent entries of the same name – 10p per entry. Details given in the result: name, date, parish and some may have extra details noted in the register. Major cemeteries have not been included.
- Monumental Inscriptions (MIs): Single Surname search of Master Index- £2.00. Subsequent single name searches are £2-00 each. Details given in the result: all Graveyards/Cemeteries with references to that surname in the records we hold.
Research Enquiry Form
You can submit your research query to HGS using this form. Please check out the notes above and note we are all volunteers but will aim to respond to your query within 7 working days.