If you would like the HGS Research Centre to help you with any problems you may have with your HAMPSHIRE family history, please enquire using the form below.
Our researchers will assess your query and help if they can. If they are unable to assist they may be able to suggest other avenues for you to try.
Before completing the form, please read the following information:
- Research enquiries should only be for the county of Hampshire (or areas previously in Hampshire excluding the Isle of Wight).
- If you have a query relating to the Isle of Wight please contact the Isle of Wight Family History Society who have their own records.
- Queries should relate to pre 20th Century as we hold very few later resources.
- If you require local knowledge of a specific area of Hampshire, your query may be passed on to an HGS local group leader who has more knowledge of that area.
- Our parish record indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials cover all Hampshire mainland parishes and are largely Anglican. Those records that survived from commencement of parish registers in 1538 are included to the 19th century. There are no 20th century entries.
- Most simple queries are free. If you require more complex or time consuming research, including help with your family tree, there is an hourly charge of £12.00.
- If you require a search of the parish register indexes there is a charge, please see the table for Chargeable Index Searches.
Please contact us by email, in writing or by telephone, so that we can discuss your requirements and give you a quote. It is helpful if you can provide us with a brief summary of your research so far – this so we can avoid duplicating any research.
Chargeable Index Searches
- Miscellaneous Indexes: Search of our miscellaneous indexes for reference to a single name identified as a result of a free search of the Surname Index – £1.00. Result details vary widely according to where the name appears – for example, if the name appears on a register of workhouse inmates it will typically give the date of admission age when admitted, marital status, date of leaving or death, workhouse occupation, settlement criteria, and sometimes additional notes.
- Baptism Index (1538-1874): Single name search – £2.00.Subsequent entries of the same name – 10p per entry. Details given in the result: child’s name, parents names, date and parish. Pre 1812 entries may have extra details noted in the register.
- Marriage Index (1538-1837): Single name search – £2.00. Subsequent entries of the same name – 10p per entry. Details given in the result: names of bride and groom, date and parish.
- Burial Index (1538-1865)– Single name search – £2.00. Subsequent entries of the same name – 10p per entry. Details given in the result: name, date, parish and some may have extra details noted in the register. Major cemeteries have not been included.
- Monumental Inscriptions (MIs) – Surname search of Master Index- £2.00. Details given in the result: all Graveyards/Cemeteries with references to that surname that we hold.
Research Enquiry Form
Inquest verdict of Visitation of God
Term used in a coroner’s verdict to explain an unexplained death Hampshire inquests The Hampshire coroner’s records were all destroyed which means that no official records exist. The best remaining source is from local newspaper reports though not every inquest and verdict was reported. When reported the content varied from very brief to quite detailed. Examples of […]
The Hampshire Family Historian
The latest Edition of the Hampshire Family Historian is now available in the Members’ Area for download. Articles include The Neaves of Fordingbridge; Families Reunion at Kings Somborne; Royalty in the Forest and Swanmore Friends Burial Ground. PLUS: Around the Groups, Book Reviews and Your Letters
A New Partnership for HGS
A NEW PARTNERSHIP FOR HGS HGS are delighted to announce a new partnership with well-known Genealogy company ‘The Genealogist’ (S& N). All the remaining data from our parish register transcripts for Hampshire, will now be online with The Genealogist (S & N) and FHS-online. FHS-online has been developed together with S & N to […]
New Membership Secretary
New Membership Secretary We are delighted to announce that we have a new Membership Secretary – Margaret Bowman. Margaret will be ably assisted by her husband John and can be contacted through the website or directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hampshire Centenarian. Born in Meonstoke in 1916 and shortly to celebrate her 100th birthday Edith Cavell SMITH Edith a twin was born on 17 November 1916 in Meonstoke and was baptized there in St Andrew’s church on 14 January 1917. Her twin brother was Lloyd George. They were named after the WWI nurse Edith […]