Harmony Hall later Queenwood College
Two unique educational establishments in East Tytherley
In 1839 Sir Francis GOLDSMID leased land at East Tytherley to socialist reformer Robert OWEN. His aim was to create a pioneering project in community living. The house he built could accommodate 700 but never reached this number. Harmony Hall was one of several similar places around the country. The project was never a success and went bankrupt in a few years.
Arrival of the Quakers
The estate was then leased to the Society of Friends in 1847 to enable a school to be established. George EDMONDSON was the head. The school was renamed Queenwood College after the old Queen Wood where it was built. The intention was to create a school that was dedicated to teaching science and physics. Part of this was the construction of a science laboratory. Among the teaching staff was scientist John TYNDALL who joined in 1847. Another scientist was Edward FRANKLAND who joined in 1847 but only stayed there for a year.
George EDMONDSON was born on 8 September 1797 to parents John and Jane in Lancaster. The entry is in the Quaker Birth Register for Lancaster. In 1861 he had a teaching staff of 5, 12 servants and 74 pupils. He died on 15 May 1863 with his will proved by his widow Anne on 9 July. His estate was under £5,000. After his death the new principal was Charles WILLMORE. He remained in charge until the college closed and he died in a fire there in 1902.
Charles WILLMORE was born on 10 January 1832 to parents Benjamin and Hannah in Leighton Buzzard BDF. Sister Sarah Elizabeth was born on 27 June 1829 in the same place. Both entries are in the Quaker Register in Buckingham. In 1871 Charles was a bachelor with his sister Sarah Elizabeth SPARKS as the housekeeper. Sarah was married to Henry who was the drawing and writing master. They had 10 month old daughter Hannah with them. Other masters were James BOTTOMLEY, George John RICHARDS and Thomas Edmund GRICE. There were 15 servants with 65 pupils.
The college continued until Charles WILLMORE retired in 1896. The owner Captain DALGETY spent money on adapting the property to become a poultry farm. William PAUNCEFOOT and Thomas WHITTAKER ran it together. In 1901 William DUNCOMBE was in residence and was an electrical engineer as well poultry farmer. After Charles WILLMORE retired he stayed in the house and in 1901 there were also 7 former pupils boarding in the house.
End of Queenwood
On 10 June 1902 a fire broke out in the building destroying it. All the occupants escaped apart from Charles WILLMORE who unfortunately died. Verdict at the inquest was death from smoke suffocation. Very detailed reports of the fire and inquest were printed in the Hampshire Telegraph 14 June 1902. The remains of the building were unsafe and were demolished in 1904.
Inquest verdict of Visitation of God
Term used in a coroner’s verdict to explain an unexplained death Hampshire inquests The Hampshire coroner’s records were all destroyed which means that no official records exist. The best remaining source is from local newspaper reports though not every inquest and verdict was reported. When reported the content varied from very brief to quite detailed. Examples of […]
The Hampshire Family Historian
The latest Edition of the Hampshire Family Historian is now available in the Members’ Area for download. Articles include The Neaves of Fordingbridge; Families Reunion at Kings Somborne; Royalty in the Forest and Swanmore Friends Burial Ground. PLUS: Around the Groups, Book Reviews and Your Letters
A New Partnership for HGS
A NEW PARTNERSHIP FOR HGS HGS are delighted to announce a new partnership with well-known Genealogy company ‘The Genealogist’ (S& N). All the remaining data from our parish register transcripts for Hampshire, will now be online with The Genealogist (S & N) and FHS-online. FHS-online has been developed together with S & N to […]
New Membership Secretary
New Membership Secretary We are delighted to announce that we have a new Membership Secretary – Margaret Bowman. Margaret will be ably assisted by her husband John and can be contacted through the website or directly at email@example.com
Hampshire Centenarian. Born in Meonstoke in 1916 and shortly to celebrate her 100th birthday Edith Cavell SMITH Edith a twin was born on 17 November 1916 in Meonstoke and was baptized there in St Andrew’s church on 14 January 1917. Her twin brother was Lloyd George. They were named after the WWI nurse Edith […]