Fair Oak HGS Family History Group meet monthly for Talks and Visits to Inspire and Help you with your Research
Welcome to the Fair Oak Group page. This friendly and welcoming group meets on the second Tuesday of each month in St Thomas’ Church Extension (attached to the Church), Mortimers Lane, Fair Oak. Doors open at 7:30 pm and the meeting begins at 8:00 pm. Fair Oak lies between Eastleigh and Bishop’s Waltham, in a semi-rural area. Our members come from the surrounding villages and we are always very pleased to welcome visitors and new members.
Joining your local group provides an opportunity to meet other people who share the same enthusiasm for family history, and to share skills and expertise. It’s also an opportunity for you to help others break down ‘brick walls’ in their research and have some help with your own. The talks, workshops, and social events also provide a great opportunity to extend your knowledge and have fun!
We will be writing articles about topics that are of particular interest to the Fair Oak Group and hope you will find them interesting as well. If you have an article that you would like included, we would be delighted to receive it.
HGS Fair Oak Group Events & Meetings
- March 10, 2020, 7:30 pm: Members’ Evening - to include demo of new website/social media - Elaine Boyes/Gwen Newland
- April 14, 2020, 7:30 pm: Who the Hell is Arthur? - Neil Littleales
A truly investigative approach to genealogy told through a personal and fascinating account of the search for my father’s parentage and medical ancestry. The journey takes the audience on a countrywide tour, exposing lies, deceit, discovery and deception. Delivering traditional family history techniques with a modern twist.
- May 12, 2020, 7:30 pm: Southampton City Buses in the Post-War Period - David Hutchings
- June 9, 2020, 7:30 pm: Wills Pre-1858 - Les Mitchinson
This talk describes the framework of courts where pre-1858 wills were proved, the different types of will and the information that they contain.
- July 14, 2020, 7:30 pm: World War II – Its Effects on a Small Community in Hampshire - Tony Cross
- August 11, 2020, 7:00 pm: Summer Outing: Guided Walk of Old Bursledon - Eric Reed
- September 8, 2020, 7:30 pm: Voyages from the Past: Passengers at Sea in Your Family Tree - Simon Wills
What was it like for our ancestors who travelled by sea as passengers to work, emigrate or for pleasure?
- October 13, 2020, 7:30 pm: Members’ Evening
- November 10, 2020, 7:30 pm: The Lady in the Yellow Caravan - Jane Glennie
- December 8, 2020, 7:30 pm: Christmas Social
The group organiser is Keith Turner. He can be contacted using the form on this page.
Find us here
St Thomas Church Hall
Hants SO50 7BG