Portsmouth HGS Family History Group meet Monthly to Inspire and Help with your Research
Welcome to the Portsmouth Group page. This friendly and welcoming group meets at 7:00pm for a 7:30pm start on the first Monday of the month (except January and August) in ‘The Links’, Cosham Baptist Church, Havant Road, Cosham, Portsmouth.
Our members come from all over the Portsmouth area and we are always pleased to welcome visitors and new members. Parking is available at the church, on the roads opposite, in the car park next to the church (50p an hour at all times), or 50 yards down the road behind the Red Lion pub (free after 6pm). On arrival at the church, go through the main entrance and ‘The Links’ is the meeting room on the left.
Why Join Portsmouth Group?
Joining your local group provides an opportunity to meet other people who share the same enthusiasm for family history and to share skills and expertise. It’s also an opportunity to help others break down ‘brick walls’ in their research and to get assistance with your own. The talks, workshops, and social events also provide a great opportunity to extend knowledge and have fun!
If you have any articles that you would like included on our group page then please contact us, we would be delighted to receive them!
The Group meetings are either a talk from a speaker on a family history related subject, or a Members’ Evening, usually arranged around members interests or request for a particular topic. The meeting is preceded by tea/coffee and biscuits, giving the opportunity for members to chat with each other and the speaker.
HGS Portsmouth Group Events & Meetings
- February 3, 2020, 7:00 pm: The Life of Thomas Pounde (1539 - 1614) of Belmonde: An Account of His Life in Riddle and Rhyme - Dr Alison Habens
- March 2, 2020, 7:00 pm: My Genealogical Journey - Phil Brown
- April 6, 2020, 7:00 pm: Winchester: Bishops, buildings and bones: Part 2 - Andrew Negus
- May 4, 2020, 7:00 pm: Members’ Evening - House History
- June 1, 2020, 7:00 pm: The Ladies of the Tower - Tony Strafford
- July 6, 2020, N/A: Guided walk around Bedhampton
- August 3, 2020, N/A: Summer Break - No meeting
- September 7, 2020, 7:00 pm: The Triangle Girls - Cheryl Jewitt and Colin Lay
- October 5, 2020, 7:00 pm: Droughts, Deluges and Dust-devils: 350 years of Weather - Ian Currie
- November 2, 2020, 7:00 pm: Maps - Les Mitchinson
- December 7, 2020, 7:00 pm: Christmas Evening
The Group organiser is Fiona Ranger. She can be contacted using the form on this page.
Find Us Here: