Fordingbridge boy dies from rabies
The Hampshire Telegraph published on 17 July 1826 reported the death of James HASKEL. On 18 June he was attacked by a rabid dog. The bites around the face were so severe that treatment was difficult. At that time treatment for rabies was very limited. The surgeon Mr. BUDD from Fordingbridge had to rely on cauterization and the application of liquid ammonia. The dog was pursued and killed.
Subsequent treatment in Fordingbridge
James complained of pain in the bitten area on Saturday 8 July. Mr BUDD tried to give him water but he could only take a few sips from a spoon. During this time James’s pulse was feeble and intermittent. At times he also looked wild and became worse later in the day. He deteriorated further and started asking incoherent questions. Further treatment included being given water and laudanum by spoon but it could not be swallowed
When Mr. BUDD accompanied by another doctor made the next visit on Sunday morning James was dying. He was tranquil and sensible but was frothing around the mouth. He died about half an hour after the doctors arrived. Rabies had claimed its victim. James was buried on 11 July in St Mary’s church in Fordingbridge.
The Haskell family
James was baptized in Fordingbridge on 10 September 1820. His parents were Robert and Sarah who lived in Blissford at that time. They had six children between 1803 and 1820 with James being the youngest. Robert HASKEL married Sarah CHATER in Fordingbridge on 18 July 1802. For most of their life they lived in Criddleton and Blissford. Both places are east of Fordingbridge on the western edge of the New Forest. The newspaper report described the family as being very poor.
HGS Research Centre
Old Alresford village booklet now available
Old Alresford, (VB100) is located midway between Alton and Winchester just north of New Alresford which is on the A31. Alresford Pond is a large lake created in the 12th Century at the head of the River Arle, a tributary of the River Itchen. Several water mills have existed along the river with the restored […]
Knowle War Memorial
Knowle Hospital was open in 1852 as the Hampshire County Lunatic Asylum. The asylum was renamed Knowle Mental Hospital in c.1923 and following the 1948 introduction of the National Health Service Act, became Knowle Hospital. At the beginning of the 20th century, Knowle Hospital was home to over 1000 patients and staff and was a self […]
Free Data in the Members’ Area
For some time HGS has had the intention of making some of its large collection of Family History data available to members in the Members’ Area of our website. With the development of our website we have now been able to begin this process and the first set to be introduced is of various ‘small churchyards’ […]
RIP Private Herbert Frank French
Herbert Frank FRENCH was born on 21st April 1884 at 11 Hyde Close in Winchester, the illegitimate son of Emily. On 18th January 1908 he married Sarah Ann (Annie) BIGNELL in Meonstoke and then settled in the village to raise their daughters Emily and Ivy. Herbert was initially in the Territorial Army then when WWI […]
Can you help
We have recently been passed a copy of a photograph with a request for more information, maybe the location or the purpose. A comment with the photo says that the men were in training but didn’t say what for.