A Portsmouth Bigamy Case
Bigamy cases can be very interesting but are more intriguing when the accused is a woman. On this occasion the offending marriage took place nearly thirty years before coming to court.
The Parties Involved
The accused was Elizabeth HOBDEN of 14 West Street in Portsmouth. Her crime was to marry George GILLMORE on 27 January 1862 in St Thomas’s Church whilst her first husband Samuel HOBDEN was still alive. The first marriage was on 10 September 1853 in Keymer Sussex, when Samuel married Elizabeth ORAM. The marriage broke down. Elizabeth spent a lot of time in Brighton where at times she cohabited with George GILLMORE. In the summer of 1862 Samuel was living in Burgess Hill Sussex. Later that year he was transferred to Cuckfield Union workhouse. He died there on 28 October 1862.
A Move to Portsmouth
George GILLMORE was a victualler in Oxford Street, Brighton before moving to Portsmouth. At the time of the case he was the landlord of the North Star Tavern in Bridgemary near Gosport. His bigamous marriage to Elizabeth in 1862 was unsuccessful. An agreement was made on 23 June 1875 for George to pay Elizabeth an allowance under certain conditions. In the meantime George had employed a woman called SHEKLETON from Southwick as his housekeeper. He was reportedly the father of her children.
The Failed Action
George was prompted to bring the case because Elizabeth arrived at his pub causing a disturbance and he wanted to officially have the 1875 agreement withdrawn. The action failed. One reason was due to the prosecutors morals. He had lived in adultery with at least two women. Another reason was that there was no conclusive proof that the HOBDEN who died in 1862 was the same man who married Elizabeth.
More Research of the Parties
Efforts to try and find more details resulted in only one confirmed census finding, in 1861, shortly before the bigamous marriage. In 1861 Samuel and Elizabeth HOBDEN were living together in Clayton, Sussex with their five children. These were Jane, Walter Thomas, Sally, Samuel and John. Although the names of ORAM, HOBDEN and GILLMORE appear in later census returns, none can be positively identified as participants in the bigamy.
George GILLMORE‘s tenancy at the North Star was very limited. Kelly’s Directories reveal that in 1885 George was at the Castle in the Air, Quay Road, Fareham. A Frederick SAVAGE was at the North Star. By 1889 George was at the North Star. By 1895 James GREEN was landlord of the North Star. The Hampshire Telegraph for 5 April 1884 refers to the license for the Castle in the Air being transferred from Adam BRIDGER to George GILLMORE. Subsequent license transfers do not appear to have been reported.
By Roy Montgomery, HGS Researcher
Wield MI Correction
As with all data that gets indexed or transcribed there is always the possibility that information can be misread due to bad handwriting or general aging. Whilst preparing information for the forthcoming village booklet on Wield I have found a prime example of this.
Our Amazing Volunteers
A big, big thank you to the Bookstall volunteers who made Family Tree Live such a success. We were kept very busy for both days of the event helping people in the search of their Hampshire ancestors. And of course welcoming our many new members. L-R Angela Winteridge, Margaret Bowman, Chris Pavey, Fiona Ranger, Geoff […]
We’re at Family Tree Live – are you?
Come and see us Friday 25th and Saturday 26th April at Family Tree Live at the Alexandra Palace, London. We are on Stands 37-38a where we will have a wide selection of HGS Publications, Maps, Genealogy Source Guides as well as Local History books and information for the whole of Hampshire.
New Winchester Group
UPDATE ON THE NEW WINCHESTER GROUP!!! The inaugural meeting of the new Winchester Group will take place at Littleton Memorial Hall on Thursday 16th May 2019. Door open at 7.15 for 7.30 start. And it’s a packed agenda for the first meeting!!! * Members of the Executive Committee will give an update on the […]
Empshott village booklet now available
Empshott, (VB102) is a small, sparsely populated parish 6 miles north of Petersfield and 2 miles south-east of Selborne with the B3006 running through the parish from Greatham north-west to Selborne.