Family historians are always looking for new resources to put flesh on the bones of their family histories. The National Archives have nearly 12,000 tithe maps of England and Wales that can add a wealth of detail to your research.
What is a Tithe?
A tithe was a payment in kind of local produce, it was a tax levied that dated from Anglo Saxon times. A person gave the church a tenth of their produce e.g a tenth of the corn they had reaped. The tithes were meant to pay for the priest but after the dissolution of the monasteries, private landlords acquired the tithes. In some cases tithe barns were built to hold the produce.
It was an unwieldy system, particularly disliked by non-conformists who resented paying dues to a church they did not support.
What are Tithe Maps?
The Tithe Commutation Act of 1836 stated that tithes could be paid for in cash rather than produce. Following this maps of each parish were drawn, showing who owned what and where.
Some tithe maps give a wealth of information and include all sorts of local amenities and landmarks that have long since disappeared. Others list people who worked for land owners.
The maps can be found at the National Archives under ref IR30. Note that the county of Hampshire is listed as Southampton.
The National Archives were able to launch this project by working with Exeter University, who have been doing research on tithe maps over a number of years. The records can now be explored on maps and provide a fascinating insight to local history at a time of considerable change and upheaval in the country.
Review of HGS Conference Day 2019
Review of HGS Conference Day 2019 Our third conference day was held on 15th June and was attended by 150 delegates. In the luxury of the Fair Oak Suite of the Macdonald Hotel and Spa, Botley, everyone took advantage of the opportunity to catch up with old friends and meet new ones.
HGS Conference Day – Rosalind McCutcheon – Fact Sheet
The factsheet from Ros McCutcheon’s excellent talk at our recent Conference Day can be accessed via the following Link: Irish-Poor-Handout-June-2019-Ros-McCutcheon (1)
Wield village booklet now available
Wield, (VB103) is a small parish consisting of two settlements, Upper and Lower Wield, with Upper Wield being the principle one including the parish church. Wield is 6 miles west of Alton and 6 miles north-north-east of Alresford.
New Item in the Members Area
We are delighted to announce that we have a new set of data in our members area. The Muster Roll of the 2nd Battalion Hampshire Regiment dated 1889, by kind permission of two of our members, Kay and Dave Lovell,
Wield MI Correction
As with all data that gets indexed or transcribed there is always the possibility that information can be misread due to bad handwriting or general aging. Whilst preparing information for the forthcoming village booklet on Wield I have found a prime example of this.