Welcome to the Romsey HGS Family History Group Page!
We meet monthly for Talks and Visits to Inspire and Help your Research.
Come and meet us face to face; you’ll find us friendly and welcoming. Meetings are held at 7.30pm in Crosfield Hall (Annexe), in the centre of Romsey, on the first Monday of the month or the Tuesday following a Bank Holiday. There is plenty of room in the large car park and, being in the evening, the parking is free! Romsey is a small market town where you will find a famous Norman Abbey, once the church of a Benedictine nunnery, and Broadlands, the home of former Prime Minister Lord Palmerston and more latterly Earl Mountbatten of Burma.Our Group Members come from both the town itself and surrounding villages.
Why Join HGS Romsey?
Joining your local group provides a platform for you to meet other people who have the same enthusiasm for family history as you do. It also provides an opportunity to share skills and expertise in helping each other break down ‘brick walls’ in their research and have some help with your own. The talks, workshops, and social events provide a great opportunity to extend your knowledge and have fun!
If you have any articles that you would like included on our group page, then we would be delighted to hear from you!
Sometimes our Group meetings feature a talk from a speaker on a family history related subject; at other times we hold Members’ Evenings which are usually arranged around members’ interests or a request for a particular topic.
HGS Romsey Group Events & Meetings
- February 3, 2020, 7:30 pm: Members’ Evening – Website Update and a Look at Facebook + HGS Bookstall
- March 2, 2020, 7:30 pm: Brick Walls and Lost Ancestors: problem solving for family historians – David Annal
- April 6, 2020, 7:30 pm: The National Archives – Les Mitchinson
- May 4, 2020, 7:30 pm: In My Father’s Footsteps - Dave Lovell
Dave will recount his father’s PoW experience during WW2 and the long march he and thousands of others were forced to make across Eastern Europe during 1945 when the war was coming to an end.
- June 1, 2020, 7:30 pm: Don’t Believe Everything You’re Told – Jane Fox
- July 6, 2020, 7:30 pm: Lifting the Lid – Miranda Pender
- August 3, 2020, N/A: Summer Break - No Meeting
- September 7, 2020, 7:30 pm: Swing Riots – Elaine Boyes
- October 5, 2020, 7:30 pm: Family Legends, Part III – Kay Lovell
- November 2, 2020, 7:30 pm: Members’ Evening – Military Ancestors
- December 7, 2020, 7:30 pm: Christmas Meeting and refreshments
The Group organiser is Kay Lovell. She can be contacted using the form on this page.
Find Us Here: