Our records include the following indexes:
All Hampshire Church of England Parish Register baptisms, marriages and burials, excluding the Isle of Wight.
- Baptisms from 1537 to 1874
- Marriages from 1538 to 1837 (including some Quaker and Roman Catholic)
- Burials from 1400 to 1865 (including some Non-Conformist but no major cemeteries after 1841]
- Monumental Inscription (MI) Index (gravestone and other memorial records) from many Hampshire Parish Churches and Cemeteries.
Miscellaneous Hampshire Indexes – mostly pre-20th century – including:
- Bankruptcy Records
- Hampshire Family Historian Surnames
- Hampshire Militia Muster Rolls
- Land Tax
- Removal and Settlement Orders
- Wills Beneficiaries
Miscellaneous National Indexes including:
- British Isles Vital Records (2ndEdition)
- FFHS Burial Index (3rdEdition)
Library holdings of over 2000 books and publications covering a wide range of topics such as:
- Trade Directories (e.g.: Kelly’s),
- Local history books for Hampshire towns, cities and villages
- County history books for Hampshire
- Books to help beginners and experienced researchers trace and interpret records
HGS Conference Day – Rosalind McCutcheon – Fact Sheet
The factsheet from Ros McCutcheon’s excellent talk at our recent Conference Day can be accessed via the following Link: Irish-Poor-Handout-June-2019-Ros-McCutcheon (1)
Wield village booklet now available
Wield, (VB103) is a small parish consisting of two settlements, Upper and Lower Wield, with Upper Wield being the principle one including the parish church. Wield is 6 miles west of Alton and 6 miles north-north-east of Alresford.
New Item in the Members Area
We are delighted to announce that we have a new set of data in our members area. The Muster Roll of the 2nd Battalion Hampshire Regiment dated 1889, by kind permission of two of our members, Kay and Dave Lovell,
Wield MI Correction
As with all data that gets indexed or transcribed there is always the possibility that information can be misread due to bad handwriting or general aging. Whilst preparing information for the forthcoming village booklet on Wield I have found a prime example of this.
Our Amazing Volunteers
A big, big thank you to the Bookstall volunteers who made Family Tree Live such a success. We were kept very busy for both days of the event helping people in the search of their Hampshire ancestors. And of course welcoming our many new members. L-R Angela Winteridge, Margaret Bowman, Chris Pavey, Fiona Ranger, Geoff […]