Our records include the following indexes:
All Hampshire parish register baptisms, marriages and burials, excluding the Isle of Wight.
- Baptisms from 1537 to 1874
- Marriages from 1538 to 1837 (including some Quaker and Roman Catholic)
- Burials from 1400 to 1865
Monumental Inscription (MI) index (gravestone and other memorial records) from many Hampshire Parish Churches and Cemeteries.
Miscellaneous Hampshire Indexes – mostly pre-20th century – including:
- Bankruptcy Records
- Hampshire Family Historian Surnames
- Hampshire Militia Muster Rolls
- Land Tax
- Removal and Settlement Orders
- Wills Beneficiaries
Miscellaneous National Indexes including:
- British Isles Vital Records (2nd Edition)
- FFHS Burial Index (3rd Edition)
- Our library holds over 2000 books and publications covering a wide range of topics such as:
- Trade Directories (eg Kelly’s),
- Local history books for Hampshire towns, cities and villages
- County history books for Hampshire
- Books to help beginners and experienced researchers trace and interpret records
Winchester Independent Register – RG4-726
The registers for the Independent Chapel start in 1716 and many entries contain useful details. The spelling of the names written here are exactly as they were written into the register. Different ministers conducting the baptisms decided to record different items of information in addition to the dates and names.
Over Wallop village booklet now available
Over Wallop, once also known as Upper Wallop, (VB097) is located west of the A343 with the B3084 running through the Wallop valley from south-east to north-west. The Wallop Brook rises in the parish and flows south-east. The hamlet of Palestine is in the north
Stratfield Saye village booklet now available
Stratfield Saye village booklet Stratfield Saye (VB096) is located west of the A33 with the Berkshire county border along the Roman road to Silchester forming the parish boundary to the north. Originally the parish included Beech Hill in Berkshire until 1868 when that hamlet became a civil and ecclesiastical parish.
Don’t Always Believe It Update
Duplicate entries in parish registers Resulting from an enquiry recently received in the Research Center a very good example of duplicate entries in registers was found in Nutley and Preston Candover.
Poor Law Union Gazette – 1
Poor Law Union Gazette – 1 Newspapers are a very good source of information on some of our ancestors but they rarely give such detailed information on individuals as that found in the Poor Law Union Gazette.