Our records include the following indexes:
All Hampshire Church of England Parish Register baptisms, marriages and burials, excluding the Isle of Wight.
- Baptisms from 1537 to 1874
- Marriages from 1538 to 1837 (including some Quaker and Roman Catholic)
- Burials from 1400 to 1865 (including some Non-Conformist but no major cemeteries after 1841]
- Monumental Inscription (MI) Index (gravestone and other memorial records) from many Hampshire Parish Churches and Cemeteries.
Miscellaneous Hampshire Indexes – mostly pre-20th century – including:
- Bankruptcy Records
- Hampshire Family Historian Surnames
- Hampshire Militia Muster Rolls
- Land Tax
- Removal and Settlement Orders
- Wills Beneficiaries
Miscellaneous National Indexes including:
- British Isles Vital Records (2ndEdition)
- FFHS Burial Index (3rdEdition)
Library holdings of over 2000 books and publications covering a wide range of topics such as:
- Trade Directories (e.g.: Kelly’s),
- Local history books for Hampshire towns, cities and villages
- County history books for Hampshire
- Books to help beginners and experienced researchers trace and interpret records
RIP Private Herbert Frank French
Herbert Frank FRENCH was born on 21st April 1884 at 11 Hyde Close in Winchester, the illegitimate son of Emily. On 18th January 1908 he married Sarah Ann (Annie) BIGNELL in Meonstoke and then settled in the village to raise their daughters Emily and Ivy. Herbert was initially in the Territorial Army then when WWI […]
Can you help
We have recently been passed a copy of a photograph with a request for more information, maybe the location or the purpose. A comment with the photo says that the men were in training but didn’t say what for.
Bigamy in 1820
The Hampshire Chronicle printed on 5th June 1820 carried a brief article on page 4 referring to three prisoners who had been committed to the County Gaol. One of the prisoners had been accused of bigamy but whereas most bigamists were men this was a woman.
Kingston Cemetery CD
KINGSTON CEMETERY CD HGS are very pleased to announce that a new CD is now available to buy for Kingston Cemetery, Portsmouth. The CD costs £10.00 and is available from our Research Centre in Cosham. It can be purchased in person, by post, through the sales section of our website or through our Bookstall.
RIP Gunner William Talmage
RIP Gunner William Talmage William TALMAGE was born in 1884 in Ramsbury, Wiltshire, and married Ellen Maria KNIGHT in Medstead in 1910. They had a butcher’s business in West Horsley, Surrey, but when the First World War started William was one of the many who volunteered and joined the Army.