Our records include the following indexes:
All Hampshire Church of England Parish Register baptisms, marriages and burials, excluding the Isle of Wight.
- Baptisms from 1537 to 1874
- Marriages from 1538 to 1837 (including some Quaker and Roman Catholic)
- Burials from 1400 to 1865 (including some Non-Conformist but no major cemeteries after 1841]
- Monumental Inscription (MI) Index (gravestone and other memorial records) from many Hampshire Parish Churches and Cemeteries.
Miscellaneous Hampshire Indexes – mostly pre-20th century – including:
- Bankruptcy Records
- Hampshire Family Historian Surnames
- Hampshire Militia Muster Rolls
- Land Tax
- Removal and Settlement Orders
- Wills Beneficiaries
Miscellaneous National Indexes including:
- British Isles Vital Records (2ndEdition)
- FFHS Burial Index (3rdEdition)
Library holdings of over 2000 books and publications covering a wide range of topics such as:
- Trade Directories (e.g.: Kelly’s),
- Local history books for Hampshire towns, cities and villages
- County history books for Hampshire
- Books to help beginners and experienced researchers trace and interpret records
New Winchester Group
UPDATE ON THE NEW WINCHESTER GROUP!!! The inaugural meeting of the new Winchester Group will take place at Littleton Memorial Hall on Thursday 16th May 2019. Door open at 7.15 for 7.30 start. And it’s a packed agenda for the first meeting!!! * Members of the Executive Committee will give an update on the […]
Empshott village booklet now available
Empshott, (VB102) is a small, sparsely populated parish 6 miles north of Petersfield and 2 miles south-east of Selborne with the B3006 running through the parish from Greatham north-west to Selborne.
Young Lovers in Alton
A brief paragraph in the 15th of February 1873 issue of the Hampshire Telegraph announced the death of Ellen FOWLER in Alton, the wife of George who was a millwright’s apprentice. On the face of it this was nothing unusual except that the report gave the ages of the couple; Ellen was only 15
Portsmouth Road Names
Portsmouth Road Names (Then and Now) Some of the streets of Portsmouth and Portsea mentioned in the old registers and census returns have had their names changed over the years. In the following table are a few of them which were originally shown in our Journal the Hampshire Family Historian of November 1985. Vol XII […]
Home Guard Names in the Hampshire Record Office
Home Guard Names in the Hampshire Record Office Did anyone in your family serve in the Home Guard during WWII? They may be included in the number of members in the Hampshire Home Guard who have been mentioned in the HRO catalogue and either appear in documents and photographs.