Old Alresford, (VB100) is located midway between Alton and Winchester just north of New Alresford which is on the A31. Alresford Pond is a large lake created in the 12th Century at the head of the River Arle, a tributary of the River Itchen. Several water mills have existed along the river with the restored Fulling Mill now the only one remaining. The area is famous for water cress which is still grown in the area. Among notable past residents in the village has been Admiral Lord RODNEY, the NORTON family and local benefactors, the ONSLOW sisters. In 1864 the Alresford Industrial School was built which was later taken over by the Primitive Methodists as an orphan’s school and eventually became a National Children’s Home in 1932 before closing in 1995. Among the local family names appearing in the 16/17th centuries is CAGER/CAIGER, with NEWMAN, BULLPIT and MERRITT including many variations in the later centuries.
This twelve page booklet includes a great deal of historical information covering Old Alresford including not only the gentry but also the teachers, publicans and ordinary people. To assist with your research, useful references for Old Alresford documents and records held at the Hampshire Record Office are given throughout, together with other sources and website addresses for more information.
Review of HGS Conference Day 2019
Review of HGS Conference Day 2019 Our third conference day was held on 15th June and was attended by 150 delegates. In the luxury of the Fair Oak Suite of the Macdonald Hotel and Spa, Botley, everyone took advantage of the opportunity to catch up with old friends and meet new ones.
HGS Conference Day – Rosalind McCutcheon – Fact Sheet
The factsheet from Ros McCutcheon’s excellent talk at our recent Conference Day can be accessed via the following Link: Irish-Poor-Handout-June-2019-Ros-McCutcheon (1)
Wield village booklet now available
Wield, (VB103) is a small parish consisting of two settlements, Upper and Lower Wield, with Upper Wield being the principle one including the parish church. Wield is 6 miles west of Alton and 6 miles north-north-east of Alresford.
New Item in the Members Area
We are delighted to announce that we have a new set of data in our members area. The Muster Roll of the 2nd Battalion Hampshire Regiment dated 1889, by kind permission of two of our members, Kay and Dave Lovell,
Wield MI Correction
As with all data that gets indexed or transcribed there is always the possibility that information can be misread due to bad handwriting or general aging. Whilst preparing information for the forthcoming village booklet on Wield I have found a prime example of this.