Over Wallop, once also known as Upper Wallop, (VB097) is located west of the A343 with the B3084 running through the Wallop valley from south-east to north-west. The Wallop Brook rises in the parish and flows south-east. The hamlet of Palestine is in the north and the AAC Centre at Middle Wallop is in the east although most of the airfield is in Nether Wallop. Among the local family names appearing over the centuries were HILLARY, HATTAT, KENT, WEBB and CLARK.
This twelve page booklet includes a great deal of historical information covering Over Wallop including not only the gentry but also the teachers, publicans and ordinary people. To assist with your research, useful references for Over Wallop documents and records held at the Hampshire Record Office are given throughout, together with other sources and website addresses for more information.
Kingston Cemetery CD
KINGSTON CEMETERY CD HGS are very pleased to announce that a new CD is now available to buy for Kingston Cemetery, Portsmouth. The CD costs £10.00 and is available from our Research Centre in Cosham. It can be purchased in person, by post, through the sales section of our website or through our Bookstall.
RIP Gunner William Talmage
RIP Gunner William Talmage William TALMAGE was born in 1884 in Ramsbury, Wiltshire, and married Ellen Maria KNIGHT in Medstead in 1910. They had a butcher’s business in West Horsley, Surrey, but when the First World War started William was one of the many who volunteered and joined the Army.
Faccombe village booklet now available
Faccombe village booklet now available Faccombe, (VB099) is located south of the Berkshire County border and a short distance north-west of the A343. This road runs south from Newbury to Andover, the latter being 9 miles away to the south-west.
Changes at the Ringwood Group
New Group Organiser at Ringwood After 15 years, Paul Pinhorne is stepping down from leading the Ringwood Group to concentrate on his recent appointment as Chairman of the Hampshire Genealogical Society.
Tragedy off Hurst Castle
Identical reports in the Hampshire Chronicle and Hampshire Telegraph, both published on 14th February 1820, describe a tragedy that happened off Hurst Castle on Friday 5th February.