Twyford (VB094) is a largish parish just south of Winchester on the B3338 and east from bank of the River Itchen. Winchester is 3 miles to the north. The M3 crosses the north-west part of the parish cutting through Twyford Down. The original name meant two fords that crossed the River Itchen where over the years several water mills have operated. As well as the village school, two private schools have been in the village with one still providing education. Hazeley Down had an Army camp during WWI. In the mid Victorian period there were 6 inns and beer houses around the village. The YOUNG family was one of the ancient parish families with over 200 baptisms between 1629 and 1874. Other local families were SMYTHE or SMITH, FROST, ROGERS and MARSH.
This twelve page booklet includes a great deal of historical information covering Twyford including not only the gentry but also the teachers, publicans and ordinary people. To assist with your research, useful references for Twyford documents and records held at the Hampshire Record Office are given throughout, together with other sources and website addresses for more information.
Winchester Independent Register – RG4-726
The registers for the Independent Chapel start in 1716 and many entries contain useful details. The spelling of the names written here are exactly as they were written into the register. Different ministers conducting the baptisms decided to record different items of information in addition to the dates and names.
Over Wallop village booklet now available
Over Wallop, once also known as Upper Wallop, (VB097) is located west of the A343 with the B3084 running through the Wallop valley from south-east to north-west. The Wallop Brook rises in the parish and flows south-east. The hamlet of Palestine is in the north
Stratfield Saye village booklet now available
Stratfield Saye village booklet Stratfield Saye (VB096) is located west of the A33 with the Berkshire county border along the Roman road to Silchester forming the parish boundary to the north. Originally the parish included Beech Hill in Berkshire until 1868 when that hamlet became a civil and ecclesiastical parish.
Don’t Always Believe It Update
Duplicate entries in parish registers Resulting from an enquiry recently received in the Research Center a very good example of duplicate entries in registers was found in Nutley and Preston Candover.
Poor Law Union Gazette – 1
Poor Law Union Gazette – 1 Newspapers are a very good source of information on some of our ancestors but they rarely give such detailed information on individuals as that found in the Poor Law Union Gazette.