Members Login: Remember Me Need your login details?

Longparish (VB093) is a large parish consisting of the hamlets of East Aston, Longparish, Middleton and Forton located along the B3048 on the north-west bank of the River Test. Whitchurch is 3 miles to the north-east.  About half of the parish is farmed with extensive woodland areas, mainly Harewood Forest, in the west.  Considerable use has been made of the River Test over the years with many water mills, two of which were recorded in the Domesday Book.  The parish was originally known as Middleton because of its location in the middle of the settlements along the valley.  The VIDLER family was one of the ancient parish families with other local families being KEELE, WEBB and WATTS.

This twelve page booklet includes a great deal of historical information covering Longparish including not only the gentry but also the teachers, publicans and ordinary people. To assist with your research, useful references for Longparish documents and records held at the Hampshire Record Office are given throughout, together with other sources and website addresses for more information.

 

Latest News

Winchester Independent Register – RG4-726

The registers for the Independent Chapel start in 1716 and many entries contain useful details. The spelling of the names written here are exactly as they were written into the register.  Different ministers conducting the baptisms decided to record different items of information in addition to the dates and names. 


Over Wallop village booklet now available

Over Wallop, once also known as Upper Wallop, (VB097) is located west of the A343 with the B3084 running through the Wallop valley from south-east to north-west.  The Wallop Brook rises in the parish and flows south-east.  The hamlet of Palestine is in the north


Stratfield Saye village booklet now available

Stratfield Saye village booklet   Stratfield Saye (VB096) is located west of the A33 with the Berkshire county border along the Roman road to Silchester forming the parish boundary to the north. Originally the parish included Beech Hill in Berkshire until 1868 when that hamlet became a civil and ecclesiastical parish.


Don’t Always Believe It Update

Duplicate entries in parish registers Resulting from an enquiry recently received in the Research Center a very good example of duplicate entries in registers was found in Nutley and Preston Candover.


Poor Law Union Gazette – 1

Poor Law Union Gazette – 1 Newspapers are a very good source of information on some of our ancestors but they rarely give such detailed information on individuals as that found in the Poor Law Union Gazette.


All News...


Archives: