Bramdean (VB092) is a comprehensive study of the history of this rural Hampshire village and the parish of St Simon and St Jude, along with the tin church on Bramdean Common originally built for the travelling community. It is located nine miles east of Winchester and four miles south-east of Alresford on the A272. A Roman villa was found in 1823 and the original Saxon name was Bromdene, meaning the valley where broom grew, indicates continued occupation over many centuries. The VENABLES family of Woodcote Manor were benefactors in the 18th Century with other ancient families associated with the parish including BUDD, COOPER, GREEN, HALL, HARDING, and PINK.
This twelve page booklet includes a great deal of historical information covering Bramdean including not only the gentry but also the teachers, publicans and ordinary people. To assist with your research, useful references for Bramdean documents and records held at the Hampshire Record Office are given throughout, together with other sources and website addresses for more information.
Hampshire County Lunatic Asylum
Hampshire County Lunatic Asylum In the 1840s there was a legal requirement for every county to have its own asylum, the result being that Hampshire purchased the land at Knowle Farm near Fareham in order to construct the Hampshire County Lunatic Asylum.
Don’t Always Believe It
Don’t Always Believe It The tendency is to accept what appears in official documents as being correct. As usual there are always exceptions to the rules and in genealogy there can be quite a few.
Village Booklet – 095 Highclere – is now available.
Highclere (VB095) is a long, narrow parish running south from the Berkshire county border just west of the A34. The southern part is on the Hampshire Downs with woodland and parkland covering most of the north. Highclere Park, including Highclere Castle, which is famous for the TV series Downton Abbey, is the well known building […]
Portsmouth Methodist Orange Street Register
Mixed Methodist details in Portsmouth Orange Street Methodist Independent register Many interesting entries appear in the 1785 to 1837 Methodist Independent register for the Orange Street chapel. Some entries include the address where baptisms took place while others have additional details. An example was Octavius Henry JACKSON who was born on 6 February 1829 […]
Closure of the New Forest Group
Sadly our New Forest Group held its last meeting in December. The very first meeting was held at the home of Jacqueline Stone on the 14th June 1980, but over the past two years attendance has dropped off making it not viable to continue the meetings. Mike Hobbs, who has been the group co-ordinator for […]