HGS Village booklet series – Extracts
An extract from Number 25 – Hambledon and the Parish of St Peter & St Paul
After the Reformation there was still a strong Catholic presence in the parish because in the 1560s a total of sixteen Catholics paid fines rather than attend the new church. Then in the 1725 Visitations it was stated that there were nineteen Papists in the parish as well as about fourteen Anabaptists, the latter met fortnightly in a private house. Among the meeting house certificates issued was one on 26 February 1726 for the Baptists meeting in the house of William LUFF. Other certificates issued were for the house of Henry BUTLER in 1739, then on 4 April 1802 for a place of Mr. TRIBE that was previously a storehouse near the New Inn and on 1 January 1818 for the house of cordwainer Reuben SHADWELL where William GRIFFITH of Winchester was the Methodist Minister.
The final certificate in the HRO was issued on 1 March 1826 for the house of Moses WHITTINGHAM who was a Baptist. It is not clear if the last two were actually in Hambledon or in Denmead and in the 1851 Religious Census mention is made of the Hambledon Independent church which was founded about 1805 and where John SHIELD of Martins Corner was the manager. Martins Corner was in Ervills tithing but the worship may have been in Hambledon. Certainly in 1864 the Primitive Methodist Chapel, also known as Ebenezer Chapel, was built in Green Lane and still has an active congregation. What records survive for this church are in the Droxford Methodist Circuit documents in the HRO 58M75/NM5 series.
An extract from Number 14 – Buriton and the Parish of St Mary
The will of John GOODYER who died in 1664 established a charity to end the welfare and education of poor children in Weston. This started a series of Dame Schools in the tithing which continued until the 1890’s when schooling finished but funds from the charity were still used to help children. Known mistresses for the school were Ann LOUGH in 1841, Ann NORRIS in 1851 and then Mary PANNELL, wife of William, taught in a cottage in Wylds Lane from at least 1861 to 1891. Mary was buried on 27th March 1915 aged 87.
In 1833 schooling in the village was started when the Revd. Charles BOYLES set up a classroom in a cottage which later became the Infant School. A new National School was built in 1846 but only for girls, the boys having to walk to the school in Petersfield. Mrs. Eliza KNIGHT was the Infant School mistress in 1851 and 1855, in 1861 Catherine WELSH was the mistress and was still there in 1875, the year that the Infants and the National School were combined. Elizabeth Caroline CLARKE was the National School mistress in 1855 followed by Ruth NASH in 1861 and then Rhoda JOHNSON in 1871 and Ann LEAF in 1875. In 1887 Mr. H. ALLISON was appointed master, which meant that at last boys were able to go to the village school. In 1889 Alfred Richard and his wife Helen Mary PATRICK filled the teacher’s positions, both staying there until at least 1923.
Research Centre temporary closure Unfortunately due to unavailability of enough volunteers the Research Centre will not be able to open on Friday 25 August and Friday 1 September. After this the regular opening hours will apply unless otherwise stated. Roy Montgomery, HGS Research Room
HGS Ringwood Open Mornings
Discovering Skeletons in Family History Finding skeletons in the cupboard is one of the delights of family history! Genealogy, as it is more correctly called, is one of the most popular hobbies and Hampshire Genealogical Society is holding Open Mornings at the Ringwood Meeting House, Meeting House Lane, Ringwood from Monday 10th July through to […]
Hardship Cases in a Portsmouth Court – Correction
HGS member David Hall has kindly pointed out an error in the original post I added to the website in October 2014. I had incorrectly stated that William Jeremiah ATRILL married Elizabeth GRIFFITHS on 2 July 1808. These details are correct but the William in the court case was a labourer who married Elizabeth THOMPSON in Alverstoke […]
Latest Village Booklet – No 92 Bramdean – is available now
Bramdean (VB092) is a comprehensive study of the history of this rural Hampshire village and the parish of St Simon and St Jude, along with the tin church on Bramdean Common originally built for the travelling community. It is located nine miles east of Winchester and four miles south-east of Alresford on the A272. A […]
Were you a Beverley Babe?
Beverley Babes The Royal Naval and Royal Marine Maternity Home As Britain prepared for the possibility of going to war with Germany, the Southsea based Royal Naval and Royal Marine Maternity Home, known as Bowland, made plans to evacuate their premises, with patients and staff to be taken to Beverley House, Wickham. On the 1st […]