Your Data and Privacy is important to us
Please read and check the way your information will be used and ensure that you are aware of the uses of your information that will be retained and stored by the Hampshire Genealogical Society (HGS). Submission of personal data and use of this site will be deemed as acceptance of the policy:
- Personal information supplied on any form and provided by you during your membership, and any communication with the Society via this website, will be used to contact and communicate with you about your enquiry or your membership. It will also be used for administration of the Society membership records.
- HGS will not provide your personal information to third parties other than for your local HGS Group Organiser to receive your contact details and invite you to attend their Group. If you do not wish your contact details to be passed to the local Group Organiser please inform the Society in writing.*
- You may choose not to submit your personal details, opt out or change your preferences at any time by informing the Society in writing.*
Should you choose not to submit your personal details membership of the Society and purchase of goods will not be possible.
- You may request a copy of any personal information held by the Society and may lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
- Personal details of members are kept on a secure database maintained by The Membership Secretary, The Hampshire Genealogical Society, 52 Northern Road, Cosham, Portsmouth, Hants, PO6 3DP. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Membership data will be kept during the period of your membership of the Society and for three years after your membership has lapsed, been cancelled by you or your death.
* “Writing” includes letter and email sent to the Society
Latest Village Booklet – No 91 Cliddesden – is available now
Cliddesden (VB091) is a comprehensive study of the history of this rural Hampshire village and the parish of St Leonard. It is located two miles south of Basingstoke and west of the A339. The original parish had a detached part at Hatch which is now part of Basingstoke and north of the M3. The Basingstoke […]
Latest Village Booklet – No 90 Shalden – is available now
Village Booklet – No. 90 Shalden – available now. The latest in our range of village booklets is now available to purchase online through our shop or by post from the Sales Office. Shalden is a comprehensive study of the history of this rural Hampshire village and the parish of St Peter and St Paul. […]
The Hampshire Family Historian Volume 43 No.3 – March 2017
The latest Edition of the Hampshire Family Historian is now available for download in the Members’ . Articles include: Lost at Sea by Roy Montgomery, Knights of the Meon Valley by Jerry Sparkes andRoyalty in the Forest (Part II) by Richard Smith PLUS: Members Interests, Research Room, Around the Groups, Book Reviews and Your Letters
Odiham School Teacher
Teacher at a private school in Odiham around 1900 Ellen Valentine James HGS member Peter GODWIN’s Great Aunt was Ellen Valentine JAMES. She was the youngest of three sisters and was born on St. Valentine’s Day 14 February 1869 in Notting Hill. Her parents were Henry George JAMES who had married Ellen MOREY in the […]
Inquest verdict of Visitation of God
Term used in a coroner’s verdict to explain an unexplained death Hampshire inquests The Hampshire coroner’s records were all destroyed which means that no official records exist. The best remaining source is from local newspaper reports though not every inquest and verdict was reported. When reported the content varied from very brief to quite detailed. Examples of […]