Your Data and Privacy is important to us
Please read and check the way your information will be used and ensure that you are aware of the uses of your information that will be retained and stored by the Hampshire Genealogical Society (HGS). Submission of personal data and use of this site will be deemed as acceptance of the policy:
- Personal information supplied on any form and provided by you during your membership, and any communication with the Society via this website, will be used to contact and communicate with you about your enquiry or your membership. It will also be used for administration of the Society membership records.
- HGS will not provide your personal information to third parties other than for your local HGS Group Organiser to receive your contact details and invite you to attend their Group. If you do not wish your contact details to be passed to the local Group Organiser please inform the Society in writing.*
- You may choose not to submit your personal details, opt out or change your preferences at any time by informing the Society in writing.*
Should you choose not to submit your personal details membership of the Society and purchase of goods will not be possible.
- You may request a copy of any personal information held by the Society and may lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
- Personal details of members are kept on a secure database maintained by The Membership Secretary, The Hampshire Genealogical Society, 52 Northern Road, Cosham, Portsmouth, Hants, PO6 3DP. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Membership data will be kept during the period of your membership of the Society and for three years after your membership has lapsed, been cancelled by you or your death.
* “Writing” includes letter and email sent to the Society
Discord in Marriage
Interesting little snippets from some of the old newspapers include brief advertisements where husbands have declared that they will not be responsible for their wife’s debts. One item from James LINDSAY appeared in the Hampshire Chronicle printed on 4th September 1820. He said that he would not be answerable for any debts incurred by his […]
HGS on Radio Solent
On Friday 1st February, Radio Solent broadcasted their Sasha Twining Show from the Dolphin Shopping Centre in Poole. Along with two other experts, HGS Chairman and Ringwood Group member Paul Pinhorne, along with Pat and George Hilbert, also from the Ringwood Group were there to help people with their family history research. Many interesting questions […]
Winchfield village booklet now available
Winchfield, (VB101) is located midway between Farnborough and Basingstoke with the A30 forming part of the northern parish boundary. The B3016 crosses the parish from south to north. The Basingstoke Canal forms part of the southern border, the London to Southampton railway crosses the parish and recently the M3 follows the same route. There is […]
Old Alresford village booklet now available
Old Alresford, (VB100) is located midway between Alton and Winchester just north of New Alresford which is on the A31. Alresford Pond is a large lake created in the 12th Century at the head of the River Arle, a tributary of the River Itchen. Several water mills have existed along the river with the restored […]
Knowle War Memorial
Knowle Hospital was open in 1852 as the Hampshire County Lunatic Asylum. The asylum was renamed Knowle Mental Hospital in c.1923 and following the 1948 introduction of the National Health Service Act, became Knowle Hospital. At the beginning of the 20th century, Knowle Hospital was home to over 1000 patients and staff and was a self […]