Romsey HGS Family History Group meet monthly for Talks and Visits to Inspire and Help your Research
Welcome to the Romsey Group page. This friendly and welcoming group meets at 7.30pm on the first Monday of the month or the Tuesday following a Bank Holiday, in Crosfield Hall (Annexe), Romsey. Romsey is a small market town and our members come from both the town and the surrounding villages. We are always pleased to welcome visitors and new members.
Why Join HGS Romsey?
Joining your local group provides an opportunity to meet other people who have the same enthusiasm for family history and to share skills and expertise. It’s also an opportunity to help others break down ‘brick walls’ in their research and have some help with your own. The talks, workshops, and social events also provide a great opportunity to extend knowledge and have fun!
If you have any articles that you would like included on our group page, then we would be delighted to hear from you!
The Group meetings are either a talk from a speaker on a family history related subject, or a Members’ Evening, usually arranged around members interests or a request for a particular topic.
HGS Romsey Group Events & Meetings
- May 7, 2019, 7:30 pm: Members’ Evening –The HGS Website, HGS Facebook Page [Please note this is Tuesday]
A look at HGS online plus + other websites, if time.
- June 3, 2019, 7:30 pm: How to Write Your Family History: Session 2 – Chris Lightfoot
- July 1, 2019, 7:30 pm: Opening the Box: Research, Genealogy & Skeletons – Tony Babb
- August 5, 2019, 7:30 pm: Summer Break: No meeting
- September 2, 2019, 7:30 pm: Members’ Evening – “My Genealogical Journey” by Phil Brown
If time, “What’s Your Problem?” – a chance for members to help each other with their research.
- October 7, 2019, 7:30 pm: Searching for Surnames: Challenges, Pitfalls and the Downright Ridiculous – Kirsty Gray
- November 4, 2019, 7:30 pm: Legends: Part II – Kay Lovell
- December 2, 2019, 7:30 pm: Christmas Get Together with Quiz & Activities
The Group organiser is Kay Lovell. She can be contacted using the form on this page.
Find Us Here:
Choose a Group
Death Notices in Old Hampshire Newspapers
Death notices in old Hampshire newspapers can reveal useful information about the deceased. Among the deaths listed in the Hampshire Advertiser of 22 December 1855 were several interesting announcements of deaths home and abroad. Combine the details with information from HGS parish indexes and a personal story emerges.