The New Milton and Christchurch HGS Family History Group meet monthly; join us for Help and Inspiration with your Research
Welcome to the New Milton and Christchurch Group page. Our friendly group meets on the second Friday of each month at 7:30pm, in the Library at St Marks Church Hall, Hinton Wood Avenue, Highcliffe, Dorset. New Milton is a market town on the edge of the New Forest. Christchurch, although now in Dorset, was once an historically important town in Hampshire. Our members come from the surrounding area and we are always pleased to welcome visitors and new members.
Why Join Us?
Joining your local group provides an opportunity for you to meet people with the same enthusiasm for family history, and to share skills and expertise. It’s also an opportunity to help others break down ‘brick walls’ in their research and get some help with your own. The talks, workshops, and social events also provide a great opportunity to extend knowledge and have fun!
The Group meetings are either a talk from a speaker on a family history related subject, or a Members’ Evening, usually arranged around members interests or a topic request. The meeting is followed by tea/coffee and biscuits, which gives everyone the opportunity to meet and chat with the speaker and each other.
HGS New Milton & Christchurch Group Events & Meetings
- March 13, 2020, 7:30 pm: The Long Road to Universal Suffrage - John Heighes
From the Barons to Votes for Women.
- April 17, 2020, 7:30 pm: Other Societies and What They Offer - Four of Our Members
But tell us of any others you belong to.
- May 15, 2020, 7:30 pm: Local Literary Connections - Nick Saunders
Who has shared our community?
- June 12, 2020, 7:30 pm: Metropolitan Policewomen - Josephine Spencer
Based on personal experience.
- July 10, 2020, 7:30 pm: We Will Remember Them: the WWII Memorial - Audrey Brinsford
Audrey tells us more of her considerable local research.
- August 14, 2020, 7:30 pm: Members' Evening - They Were Not All Ag. Labs.!
A chance to share some family occupations.
- September 11, 2020, 7:30 pm: A History of the Co-Operative Movement - Alexander Sims
Research by our youngest member into one of his interests.
- October 9, 2020, 7:30 pm: The Water Power of West Hampshire - John Heighes
The renewable that now seems to be wasted.
- November 13, 2020, 7:30 pm: Music of the Victorian Era - Brenda Marvin
Before radio and television filled our evenings.
- December 11, 2020, 7:30 pm: High Up - Daphne Austin
Daphne’s Quiz – we will get a few of them right!
The group organiser is John Heighes. He can be contacted using the form on this page.
Find Us Here:
St. Marks Church Hall
Hinton Wood Avenue
Hinton Wood Avenue is the turning opposite ‘The Galleon’ public house on Lymington Road, and the church is a short distance down on the left. Parking is on Hinton Wood Avenue or behind the church. The Library is the room between the large hall and the church.